Chapter 38

Luke's POV

"What the hell happened to him?" I asked the doctor the moment he stepped out of Calum's room.

"He had a a breakdown." The doctor answered. "But, we already put him to rest. He needed to calm down."

"A breakdown?" I questioned.

"He had that years ago." Michael interjected. "He usually have breakdowns and panic attacks when having a nightmare or just when.." He stopped.

"Can you explain a bit more?" I asked, still confused as fuck.

"The torture he got, it's the one triggering his breakdown. It can be caused by trauma as well." The doctor shortly replied.

"Wh-what do you mean?" Summer asked.

"His panic attacks, him breaking down might take a while." The doctor sighed. "He needs all the help, support and love from his family." He added. "He can't be exposed to negative things or anything that will remind him of what happened to him."

Silence took over the zone. This is just another hell for us, for my brother who did nothing but to protect the family that he's been trying to complete.

"I'll go ahead now." The doctor excused himself.

Michael and I looked at each other as Summer stare blankly into space. This news probably just shocked the three of us.

"What can we do for him?" Summer asked lowly, trying to hold back tears.

"I don't know." I answered. "Hope for the best, I suppose."

"This is not fucking good." Michael says. "Can we talk, Luke?"

"Yeah, okay." I say. "Go back inside, Summer."

Michael and I walked at the cafeteria for some food and another round of talking.

"What's up?" I asked as we sit down with our drinks and pasta.

"Years ago, after you left for Japan, when everything went down for us, Calum started having nightmares. Where he will just scream at night, then I'll have to run and wake him up." Michael started, and it's already making me hard to breathe hearing the story. "When we lost the ones we love, it felt like Calum got lost too. He is alive, but he's dead on the inside and in every aspect. You left, everyone left, Calum and I were alone." He added, his eyes getting glassy. "I am alone. But, I had to do everything to prevent Calum from falling into this blackhole and shit."

"I'm so sorry, Mikey." I held his shoulder, feeling guilty that I left at the time when they needed me the most. When we all needed each other the most.

"His screams, his cries, his tight grip, him catching his breath, it almost made me insane." Michael continued. "Do you know how it feels like, you just wanna explode and leave everything?" He looked at me. "Like, you just want the whole world to stop, so you can breathe for a moment?"

"Mikey.."

"The hell continued, Calum lost his sanity. He wanted to be dead, tried to take his own life multiple times." Michael is now crying. "He told me once that maybe, if he's dead, everything will be okay. That he feels so bad that he's putting me in all of his shit." Michael wiped his tears, and looked down at the table. "He is our brother, so I didn't give up on him."

"We never give up on any of us, Mike." I tell him.

"It's just, him going through this again is worrying me." 

"We are all here for him." I say. "Summer is also here for him."

"I don't know if Summer can handle this." He sighed. "She can't even remember that much."