CHAPTER 35- A PHONE CALL

Start from the beginning

"And yet I did not get a single call from you."

"I called yesterday. You didn't answer." It was my turn to narrow my eyes and stare at her accusingly.

Nadia's eyes widened as she remembered about my call that she had refused to answer. "Mr Johnson is strictly against phones during work hours."

"And where are you now?" I asked. This was her work hour.

"At work. But he isn't," Nadia turned her phone to give me a look of her cubicle. "Mr Johnson had gone crazy ever since he sold the New York office. He had turned into a dictator. Most of the time the words coming out of his mouth make zero sense. Sometimes I feel like cracking his bald head open and checking if his brain is alright or not."

When the screen returned to her face, the natural shine in her crystal blue eyes was replaced by dull exhaustion. Before I could inquire further, everything went blurry on my phone. I could hear some voices in the background, but none of it was comprehensible.

"Nadia?" I asked as I heard a snap. The screen had gone black.

"Shhh," I heard her voice.

A few seconds later, she reappeared on the screen. Though instead of sitting upright in her chair, she was leaning on the desk, using the monitor to shield herself.

"Johnson is back," she whispered. I had expected a short goodbye and a disconnected call from her side, but Nadia being Nadia adjusted her phone on the cubicle wall and rested her chin on the desk.

"How's married life, Caro?" She whispered.

"Are you not scared of being fired?" I whispered back.

She shrugged. "I finished a project yesterday that was due next week. I deserve to be a little reckless after that." Nadia's voice did not go up, but it was clear that the girl had no fear of being caught or getting fired.

"Why don't you call me after you get off work?" I suggested. If she did not care about the repercussions of her actions, someone had to.

"Don't worry, Caro. I'm fine."

But the very next moment, I saw a man—possibly a colleague—standing behind her. He was glaring at the back of Nadia's head. She might have noticed my eyes moving behind her because Nadia raised her head and turned around in her chair to greet him.

"Mr Johnson called you in his office," he said with a straight face. Throwing a glance at me through the screen—it looked more like a glare—he walked away.

Not so fine after all.

If being caught on a video call during work hours or being rudely called to her boss' office affected her, I would not know. Nadia simply sighed and shook her head.

"These people just can't live without me," she said. "I'll call when I get back to my apartment, okay? I miss you a lot here. Visit me sometime. Love you!"

Nadia cheerfully waved at me and I did the same, though I was still worried about her boss summoning her. "Love you too!" I said, then ended the call.

As I kept my phone on the table with a smile on my face after the long awaited phone call with my best friend and decided to go out in the garden for a walk, I noticed a very dumbfounded Aaron standing near the door.

I raised my eyebrows waiting for him to say something. It was worrying to see him so surprised. This was the same man who had managed a company crisis without breaking a sweat.

Aaron walked towards me with slow steps, his eyes glued to my face. Though I could sense a cloud of variness surrounding him, I could not for the life of me figure out what was bothering him. His silence was only making my patience worse.