XXXVIII

"Thank God you don't have a brother or else I would have to suffer like that." Huda thought he was joking but Saanjh's face grew expressionless at this comment. He didn't know what he said that would upset her so much or ruin her mood. Saanjh, without any word left from there. Huda knew that his plan was to make her hate him but his plan never included something that would hurt her or upset her. Seeing her sad, he felt something. He wanted to go after her, although he didn't know why. The moment he saw her in the bus stop something made his heartbeat faster. Some people would usually name it Love at First Sight, but he didn't believe in that stuff. He knew it was not possible. Or was it?

"Why are you the manager of this place?" Yudi asked Millie out of curiosity, "Why cant be I here?" she was irritated because of the tiring day she had as the manager. "I mean, you are the owner of this place. You need not to work here." he clarified his question. Yudi knew that Millie was daughter of the famous businessman who had restaurant chain across the country. He had met her in many social gatherings as their father's profession was somewhat same, and from one such party only, they became friends. "I am daughter of the owner, not the owner. My father wants to hand down his business to me, but I want to study more about it before I enter this profession. So, I made a deal with Dad, that, if I manage to serve more guests today, as a manager, than yesterday then I am free to go or else I am stuck here with him and his business."  she explained her current situation to Yudi, who listening carefully to each and every word. "Ma'am, those people who came with sir are leaving and also asking for him to leave with them." the waiter came to inform Yudi, for whom all KMA members were waiting. "Shoot..." Millie whispered, "What happened?" Yudi asked but she never answered, and just went away from there. The waiter decided to answer in place of her, "She has already successfully crossed the number of guests but it is matter of money. Today's earning is not much." A perfect plan formed in Yudi's head to help her, before he goes from there. "I didn't place my order. did I?" the waiter shook his head and was ready with his notepad to take his order. "I will have everything on the menu. Pack it and deliver it to KMA." the waiter looked at him with disbelief but smiled, like he was thanking him for the help.

Everyone was assembled in the farmhouse, with a distraught Shalini in the middle. Nobody tried to make her speak, neither did someone ask her something. Whether it was their shock or Shalini's upset face which stopped them from uttering a word was hard to say. "You all know who Major Aditya Mehra is to me. He is appointed here to look into case of nuclear triggers but do not trust him. Do not tell him about Dr.Mishra or any other thing about the triggers. He is the most selfish person of this world, who can do anything for money. And believe me, I have learnt it in a hard way." Naveen didn't notice how his hand clenched into fists as Shalini warned everyone. The way she spoke about her husband, with such distaste and hate, the way her eyes tear up, with past memories, and the way her voice shook while she was speaking was enough to tell Naveen that the black night of her life was her husband. And he knew that now was the time to fulfill his promise, to end this night and bring days back in her life.

"Cadets, you all know what to do now. Steer clear of  this Major. He shouldn't get to know about anything we are doing or even about you all being involved in this case." Rajveer's order was clear to everyone, and no one was planning to disobey him. "We should go." Naina and everyone followed him back to their own vehicles, except Shalini, who decided to stay in farmhouse that night. The last night of her freedom, the last night with Naveen.

"Shalini when all this happened? Why didn't you tell me?" Shalini was expecting such questions as soon she was alone with Naveen but he didn't ask any. He didn't even say something. He just sat on a chair, staring at her, observing her. Shalini knew that she had to tell him about her life, so without waiting for his questions she started her story, "When we got the news of you being lost and maybe dead, I was shattered. I didn't want to believe any of them, but everyone did, and also tried to persuade me to accept it. They knew how dear friend you were to me, so my being upset was expected. Nobody tried to understand that I was not upset with the news, I was broke. At the same time, Aditya's parents came to our house with marriage proposal, which my parents accepted. They were impressed with Aditya's behaviour as well as with his post, family and everything. He is a great actor, who can impress anyone he just met. I was in no state to fight against the marriage. Before I could realize I was being married to a person I didn't even know. Everyone thought that I would be happy after marriage, in my new life. I won't say they were completely wrong. They were right about only one thing at that time, My new life did start, but that was worse than before. Soon, Aditya was transferred to somewhere else, and at that time only I used my contacts to come to KMA, away from him and that life. Here, I met you in the hospital, and took you in with me. I didn't tell you, I don't know why. Maybe, because I was living a dream of a happy life and telling you everything at that moment would have brought me back to reality. I was living a lie till now, and tomorrow my truth will be waiting for me at the gates of KMA."