Morning - Azura X Child! Reader

Timeline: ?

POV: Third person

Mild angst, but hopefully not too bad. Azura is depicted with mild PTSD, please do not read if you are sensitive to such content.

"You are the ocean's gray waves, destined to seek, like beyond the shore, just out of reach."

Cold stars glowed dimly in the sky, the rising sun barely visible under jagged mountains.

A maiden of blue slowly walked through the forest, dress dragging over moss covered rocks.

"Yet the waters ever change, flowing like time, the path is yours to climb."

Crystal tears flowed from the songstress's piercing amber eyes, gleaming in the remaining light.

She finally arrived at a flowing river, hands clasped over her chest.

She sat at the river bank, somber eyes staring the the dark water as her hands clasped the glowing pendant on her chest.

"Mother?"

She jumped up, melodic tunes stopped abruptly.

"Oh, it's only you Shigure..." She sighed in relief.

"Mother, what are you doing out here?" Shigure stepped from the trees, tired and confused.

"I could say the same to you Shigure." Azura responded calmly, quickly wiping the tears from her eyes.

Shigure squinted in the near darkness, "Mother, your face is wet."

"Is it?"

Shigure pulled a handkerchief from an unseen pocket, handing it to his mother. "Are you alright, mother?"

"I'm fine." Azura said quickly, trying to quickly wipe the remaining tears on her cheeks.

"You were crying." Shigure pointed out, a frown on his face.

After a few moments of awkward silence, Azura finally spoke again.

"I suppose there is no reason to keep this from you."

Shigure tilted his head in confusion. "Mother?"

Azura looked out across the rushing river, eyes somber and dark. "You had a sibling."

"H-Had?" Shigure stuttered, freezing.

"Yes." She said in a wistful tone. "You would have had a little sibling to grow up with in the D-Deeprealms."

Shigure remained silent, patting his mother's shoulder as they sat by the river.

"W-We were going to surprise you." She said in a whisper, "It was your father's idea."

Shigure frowned, but held in his comment on the foolishness of the plan.

"But when we were on our way to your Deeprealm, we were attacked." She sucked in a breath at the memory.

"Your father and I tried to hold them off. But... They were too strong."

Shigure pat her back gently. "Wh-What was their name?"

"(Your/Name)." Azura looked at him, eyes once again filled with tears. "(Your/Name)..."

She sobbed, trying to silence herself. "A-And they killed them right in front of me."

Shigure let out a stifled gasp, "I-I'm so sorry Mother."

"Don't be."

And across the river, the sun rose.

Honestly I ran out of inspiration/effort halfway through this :,)

Published April 12, 2017.