Chapter 30

(Song "Your Guardian Angel" by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus)

*Cameron P.O.V*

I had forgotten about the cancer. She told me but when I figured out she was in the hospital it didn't even cross my mind. I hated seeing Chloe this way. She was so upset.

"Chloe, none of this is your fault." I tried to comfort her.

"How could she be so selfish?" She asked. I knew she didn't mean it.

"Being tied to an oxygen tank and things like that is no way to live. We both know she's not being selfish. When truly we are the ones being selfish by wanting her to stay around for our purposes." I knew that what I said would send Chloe over the edge, and that is what happened.

"I'm being selfish?" She stood and yelled. I nodded. She stormed down the hallway as Brad exited his mother's room. "Come on we're going home." She grabbed his arm. Victoria followed. I stood to go with.

"No, you can find another ride home." Chloe demanded. I stopped dead in my tracks. I nodded and they left. I would walk but Taylor should be home by now. I decided to call him. 

"Hey man, what's up?" He asked as he answered the phone. 

"Oh, nothing just chilling at the hospital. Hey if I give you the address, can you come and get me?" I asked.

"Yeah. Text me the address. I'm leaving the airport right now."

"Thanks man, will do." I hung up the phone. I texted him the address and decided to go see Chloe's mom. I had 20 minutes to waste.

As I walked into the room, she smiled. 

"Cameron. Where's Chloe?" She asked.

"Oh well, we were talking and she got mad and left me here to get a ride for myself." I laughed slightly, rubbing the back of my neck. 

"Yeah, that sounds like something she would do." She smiled. "I'm sorry for telling her you knew."

"No harm, no foul. She will get over it." I sat on the couch against the wall. 

"Yeah she will. Cameron, I'm going to die. I need you to take care of them. High school's almost up and you guys are adults. But when you look at her, remember and hear my voice saying No Sex!" We both laughed. I loved how in this hard time, she still wanted everyone to be positive.

"Trust me I know." I laughed. "I really don't want you to go. I think Chloe understands the situation but she hasn't thought it through. It's not that you've given up, it's that it's your time to go home. I understand. Being hooked up to machines is no way of living." I turned serious. 

"Cameron, you're an amazing kid. You saved my daughter's life. And even if she is unhappy with you at times, she will come back around. I see the way she looks at you. She knows she's got something worth not letting go. But as much as I don't want to say it, she's like her father in the aspect of her anger. She doesn't lash out like he did, but her patience is limited." She paused for a moment. "I consider you a son. I thank you for everything you've done and everything you're going to do." The words she spoke, made me a little teary eyed. She trusted me. That was huge. 

"I promise, even if she would go with somebody else and dump me. I promise I will continue to take care of her." I walked over and bent down to give her a hug. 

"I know you will." She whispered in my ear. 

"Well Taylor should be here so I better get going." I informed her. She nodded and I walked out. I checked my phone and sure enough I had a text message from Taylor. I walked out and met him in his care.

"Hey man." He said as I climbed in. "Why the heck were you here?" 

"Chloe's mom." I answered.

"They why didn't you get a ride with her?" He laughed.

"She got mad at me and told me to find my own way home." I laughed as well. 

"You want to go pay her a little visit?" Taylor laughed. I nodded.