Daddy?

I scoured the hallway ensuring that nobody was around before me and Rose scurried up the stairs into the bedroom.

"Woo" Rose sighed laying down on the bed. "Those stairs are killer" She panted.

"Have you got the bag?" I asked crossing my legs dying for a piss.

Rose threw the carrier bag over to me and I rushed into the bathroom

"You're bedroom is so cute!" She called out. I tilted my head to the side as I saw her delicately rubbing her hands across the silk sheets. I fumbled in the bag and took out the pregnancy sticks, ripping the boxes to shreds, sitting down on the toilet.

Three minutes I read.

Okay let's do this.

I pulled off the plastic cap of the sticks and managed to bundle up five into my hand. I placed them under me and of course did as instructed.

"Can I have a drink?" Rose called out

"Uh, yeah go for it!" I called back.

I finished my pee and placed the blue caps back onto the stick, placing them down onto the cabinet sink next to me.

I buried my head in my hands, I could feel my heart thudding and vibrating away in my chest.

"Sorry" Rose  interrupted holding me out a glass of gin.

I let out a deep sigh and smiled, hesitating at first but eventually taking the glass. I pulled my underwear back up along with my ripped denim jeans, flushing the chain. I washed my hands and took the glass back into my grip.

"Cheers" Rose said forcing a smile

"To?"

"The unknown"

"To the unknown, with two minutes and counting" I said as our glasses clinked together.

"You need to relax" Rose faintly smiled, her eyes staring at my shaky drink.

"Easier said than done"

"Listen, Liza. Whatever the outcome, it's OK. You'll be OK. We've got this."

"We?"

Rose took my hand into hers "Yes, We."

My phone timer bleeped, alerting me time was up. My fate had been sealed. I felt my heart skip a beat. I closed my eyes tight hoping that this was all a dream.

"You look first, I .. I -
I could feel my breathing quicken, it's shallowness aching my chest.

Pull yourself together I thought.

"No, wait" I ordered, pushing Rose's hand away.  "It's OK. I uh... I can do it." I breathed out.

Rose smiled and backed away into the bedroom.

I leaned over the sink, staring at myself in the mirror trying to control my breathing. My eyes finally trickled down to the tests on the side. I flipped the first one over as if I was ripping off a bandaid.

| |

My heart sunk.

I turned over the second one