twenty

•••The new information Derek provided had me flustered

•••
The new information Derek provided had me flustered. After he told me I left the hospital and went home; later receiving a call from Scott saying Stiles had been found.

"They're doing tests on Stiles all afternoon and I was going to go over at around 6:00 to visit.
You want to come with me?" I stumble out of my thoughts– grabbing hold of my open locker and seeing that Scott had approached me for the first time today. I've been trying to keep my distance so I could clear my mind but it seemed to be failing.

"I should probably just go home." Scott places his arm on my shoulder, startling me.

"Nell, he's your best friend– what's going on with you?" I sigh, Keeping my moms death a secret is causing my emotions to overflow.

"Derek told me that my mom caused the Hale fire as she made Peter careless and aparently didn't love him" Scott embraces me into a hug.

"I'll help you get to the bottom of this" we break away from the hug and I smile.

"Thanks, Derek only gave me half the story–" I pause as i detect a buzzing noise that was recognizable, it sounded exactly like the one from when Kira was at the power station with Barrow; this time not as loud.

"What is it?" I shake my head

"Nothing, text me when you're going to see Stiles and I'll tag along" he nods and I shut my locker.

*
"I'm not sure I know how to pronounce this. Or if it's not actually a misspelling–" Sheriff Stilinski interrupts.

"Just call him Stiles."

"Okay. Stiles, just to warn you, you're going to hear a lot of noise during the MRI.
It's due to pulses of electricity going through metal coils inside the machine. Uh, if you want we can get you earplugs or headphones.–" Stiles cuts him off.

"Oh, no, no, I don't need anything."

"Hey, we're just on the other side of that window Okay?" Melissa rubs Stiles's shoulder.

"Okay." Melissa, his dad and the doctor leave the room.

"You know what they're looking for, right?" I sit next to Stiles, wrapping my arm him as he continues.

"It's called frontotemporal dementia. Areas of your brain start to shrink.– It's what my mother had. It's the only form of dementia that can hit teenagers." he pauses

"And there's no cure." I feel a tear roll down my cheek, Stiles stands up and hugs Scott.

"Stiles, if you have it, we'll do something. I'll do something." They break off from the hug and Scott puts his hands on my shoulder.

"I'll be waiting for you outside" I nod and watch Scott leave the room.

Stiles turns to face me "Nell you've got to stay strong for me" I nod.

"Like Scott said– if you do have it, we'll do something" he takes a seat next to me.

"I know you will" he stops; looking deep in contemplation.

"Im in checkmate Nelly– and the games never ending"

Confused at Stiles's last statement, I decided to wrap it up so the tests can start "Ok... I'll leave you to it then" I stand.

"Bye Nell" I send him a weak smile and traipse out of the room.

I walked into the lobby and observe a conversation between Derek and Scott. "But that's not the only reason I left. I needed to talk to my mother.–" Scott interrupts.

"Your dead mother?" Derek nods and Continues.

"She told me something that changed my perspective on a lot of things. She said that my family didn't just live in Beacon Hills. They protected it. – This town needs someone to protect it. Someone like you."

"And someone like you to teach me a few trade secrets." Scotts expression changes; he furrows his eyebrows.

"What is it?" Derek asks

"He was trying to protect us.
Stiles was protecting us."

"From what?"

"From himself" I speak up, realizing what Stiles was referring to earlier– He was trying to tell me that somthing is attempting to possess him.

And its winning...