Mutations: ~ Chapter Thirty ~

Start from the beginning

Hayden gave the box shaped office a look of disagreement but nodded her head anyway, "Sure. I keep food in the second drawer." She sighed not looking up to fighting on the subject with me, "The farther away from trouble you are, the better."

I watched as she stepped out of and waited before I moved. I could see the vent, and although it was high up, I knew that I could reach it somehow. Determination buried itself deep into my bones as I ran towards the desk.

I don't even think I made a noise when one foot pressed against the black marble surface that I used to launch myself so unbelievably effortlessly towards the vent. All those years of training came in useful now, I was good at stealth, and my height helped.

A grunt so loud that it made me still left me when I crashed against the smooth wall, one knee crashed hard against the bookshelf that was an inch or two away from the vent.

It wobbled beneath my sudden weight and my eyes widened like saucers as I gasped in fear as my body went still as a statue, the last thing I needed was to draw even more attention to myself by dragging down half of Hayden's brand new office with me.

A whimper escaped me as my body trembled with the effort it took me to uphold myself, until I found a whisper of strength that allowed me to slide myself further onto of the bookcase that was worryingly unsteady.

I stared at the vent, narrowing my eyes at the protruding four screws that held it into the wall. I wasn't stupid. I reached forward and dug my fingers against the cool metal to rip it out and yelped when it almost toppled from my grasp to the floor.

I almost dropped myself when all four of the damned nails rattled to the floor! Why hadn't I thought of them before I decided my enhanced strength would be a good idea to use!?

"Six..."

The voice stilled me as I inhaled a faint whisper of a scent, I knew it would find me. Gripping the edges of the vents frame, I gritted my teeth in pain as I stretched my body towards it, poking my head through the cool frame, and awkwardly arching myself so that I could lean on my torso to push myself in.

But with my elbows inside the frame I was given leverage and bounced a little as I kicked myself off of the bookshelf, trying to ignore that loud rattling noise it made.

"Follow me..." The voice continued you, the voice pulling me forward with its need, "Follow me..."

My body trembled as I dragged myself into the icy cold vent, heaving my body across the sharp as knives frame that threatened to cut into my skin as I wasted so much as a second leaning on them.

The sharp bite made me want to cry out and my eyes moistened as I twisted onto my back and pulled in my feet, releasing the longest breath I had ever held with a pained groan as my body slumped in exhaustion.

Sweat glued my shirt to my back as I stared at the silver ceiling for a moment, catching my breath. I was lucky to have just enough space to twist around, and slam the vent door back in place.

I had to lie back before I fell back down. Trailing my fingers along my waist, I whimpered when I saw the blood drip from my fingertips, and quickly pulled my top up just in time to see the flesh stitch itself back together leaving nothing but a dark red line of where the cut was.

"Move, Six!" The voices' cry made its way through the vent, "I'm losing...strength..."

My nose twitched at the scent that I managed to pick up again, I rolled onto my stomach and began to crawl forward. My breathing was labored as I fought to keep track of the scent, tracking a beetle in the forest would be easier.