Twice as Far (S06E14)

A/N: Sorry, I have been MIA for the past couple weeks. As some of you might know, I am in college (Majoring in Secondary History Education) and THIS week is finals, therefore I am doing some major stressing out, lol. But, I had a break the other day and wrote this mini-chapter for you guys. Hope y'all like it.

~~~~~~

The past few days have been normal for once, but everyone is still very much on edge. The fact that this Negan person could be anyone, terrifies people. Day after day, you wake up in the middle of the night from an ungodly nightmare. It's the same one, every night at the same time.

You are running from something, but can never run fast enough. Every single time you trip over a barbwire fence. You can hear the walkers snarl, but you are not afraid of them. It's the unseen monster that is the true evil. You wake up in panic at three AM every single morning from the same nightmare.

Daryl soothes you back down to Earth. As he traces little circles on your back, you soon fall back to sleep. Your life is on a schedule. Every damn day.

Today, you got up and prepared yourself for work, also known as, being everyone's complaint center. After your shower, you gave Daryl a quick peck on the cheek, and began your walk to the infirmary. Denise was already up and at 'em, when you arrived. "Hey, can I ask you a question?" "Just did." You laughed. She cocked her head. "What is it?" "So, Rosita and I have a lesson today. Do you think she'll go for something else?" She asked. You were confused, "Like?"

She huffed, "Like..."

-

"After I got out of DC, I just drove. I remember seeing it right when I realized I had no idea where I was going. Edison's Apothecary and Boutique. It's just this little gift shop in a strip mall, but if it's really an apothecary, they had drugs." Denise explained to Daryl and Rosita, what she had previously explained to you.

"How do you know they still got 'em?" Daryl asked. "It isn't that far. I just wanna check. And you and Rosita aren't out scavenging or pulling shifts." Denise explained. Daryl nodded and put out his hand for the map, "We'll go."

"I wanted to check. I just wanted to help." She confidently said. Daryl looked at you, then asked her, "How much time you spend out there?" "None." "Forget it." "I can ID meds. I know how to use a machete now. I've seen roamers up close. I'm ready." "You two good with this?" Daryl asked you and Rosita. "No." You both said, simultaneously.

"I'll go alone, if I have to." Denise said, getting frustrated. "You'll die alone." Daryl responded. "I'm asking you to make sure I don't." Daryl huffed then looked to Rosita. She placed a hand on her chest, "I am not babysitting her by myself." He looked over to you. You put your hands up in defense, "We can't have both doctors out, can we?"

You walked up to him, kissed his cheek, and said "be safe," before walking back to the infirmary.

-

You paced around the office all afternoon. Nobody came in, today. It was nice, not dealing with people. But, it was also like watching wet paint dry. The only thing you accomplished today was disinfecting everything; which you did every day, anyways.

Just as you were getting ready to lock up, an urgent knock was sounded at your door. "(Y/N)! Open the door!" Daryl's voice flooded the room. You ran to the door and opened it. Daryl, Rosita, and Abraham, were carrying Eugene's limp body. "What happened? Where's Denise?" You asked.

"Eugene's been shot." Abraham replied. The question on Denise went unanswered, as you prepped yourself to save Eugene's life.

-

After the surgery, you all sat around Eugene's bed in silence. Abraham opened the door and said, "Rick's coming. How is he?" "The bullet just grazed him, but it's a good thing you got him back when you did. Antibiotics you picked up could save him from an infection. Could save his life." You responded. "That's what Denise did." Rosita said, looking down at Eugene.

Eugene began coughing, "You here?" Rosita asked. "Present." "Good." Abraham said. "I was not trying to kill you. I was looking for a moment." "You found it." "Do you apologize for questioning my skills?" "I apologize for questioning your skills. You know how to bite a dick, Eugene. I mean that with the utmost of respect. Welcome to stage two." "Don't need to welcome me. I've been here a while."

You all looked at Eugene. You looked at Daryl, as he looked out the window. He blames himself for what happened to Denise.

A few hours later, you went back out with him to collect her body. It wasn't right to just leave her out there. When you reached her, an arrow, Daryl's arrow, was sticking out from her eye. That's why he blames himself. The man in the burnt forest did this.

You got back to the cemetery and dug a grave for her. Daryl, Carol, and yourself dug the hole and gently put Denise in. As Daryl was filling it back up, Carol says, "You were right. I knew it when you said it."

~~~~
Don't be a silent reader!!!
VOTE/COMMENT /SUGGEST/SHARE

-Thanks, Shaide<3