The Distance (S05E11) Part 1

You and Daryl slept for about two hours, enough to recharge your system. When you two awoke, the group was making some much needed improvements on their personal arsenals.

Everyone still looked very tired, which was understandable.

Minutes later, Maggie came through the doors, "Hey... Everyone..." She opened the door wider, so a man and Sasha could walk in, "This is Aaron."

Everyone stood up, quickly, and aimed their guns at the man. Daryl got up from beside you and walked towards the door, looking around outside.

"We met him outside. He's by himself." Maggie said, as Daryl searched him. "We took his weapons and we took his gear."

Sasha chained the door. You stood on the left side of Rick and pointed your bow at the man. He had his hands up, and looked nervous, "Hi."

Judith began to cry in Rick's arms. Carl took her and calmed her down.

"It's nice to meet you." The man said, taking a step forward, as the group tensed.

"You said he had a weapon?" Rick asked Maggie. She walked towards him and handed him a small gun. He took it and opened the chamber. Rick looked back at the man, putting the gun in the back of his pants, "There something you need?"

"He has a camp nearby." Sasha said, looking at the man. "He wants us to audition for membership."

"I wish there was another word. Um... Audition makes it sound like we're some kind of a dance troupe. That's only on Friday nights." The man said, looking at all of you. Then, looking down shaking his head, "Um and it's not a camp. It's a community. I think you all would make valuable additions. But, it's not my call. My job is to convince you all to follow me back home. I know. If I were you, I wouldn't go either. Not until I knew exactly what I was getting into. Sasha, can you hand Rick my pack?" He asked, looking at Sasha.

She hesitated, then walked towards Rick, giving him the bag. "Front pocket, there's an envelope." Aaron said, as Rick opened the bag. "There's no way I could convince you to come with me just by talking about our community. That's why I brought those." Rick pulled put a yellow envelope. "I apologize in advance for the picture quality. Uh. We just found an old camera store last—"

Daryl cut him off, "Nobody gives a shit."

Aaron turned around, "You're absolutely 100% right." He turned back around to face Rick, going through the pictures. "That's the first picture I wanted to show you, because nothing I say about our community will matter unless you know you'll be safe. If you join us, you will be. Each panel in that wall is a 15-foot-high, 12-foot-wide slab of solid steel framed by cold-rolled steel beams and square tubing. Nothing alive or dead gets through that, without our say-so. Like I said, security is obviously important. In fact, there's only one resource more critical to our community's survival. The people."

Rick looks around at all of you and huffs. "Together we're strong. You can make us even stronger. The next picture you'll see inside the gates. Our community was first construc---" Aaron continued, as Rick walked towards him and sucker punched him in the face.

Aaron fell hard to the ground. Daryl walked over to him and shook him, nothing. You pushed your way through the group to the man and checked his pulse. He was knocked out.

-

Rick walked away from the man and conversed with Michonne. You stood beside Daryl, waiting for Aaron to regain consciousness.

"Everyone else, we need eyes in every direction. They're coming for us. We might not know how or when, but they are." Rick said, loudly to the rest of you.