Still (S04E12) Part 3

The three of you went up onto the porch, after sun fall. You all sat and listen to the crickets and cicadas. "I get why my dad stopped drinking." Beth said. "You feel sick?" You asked. "Nope. I wish that I could feel like this all the time. That's bad." She said.

"Hmm. You're lucky you're a happy drunk." Daryl said. "Yeah. I'm lucky. Some people can be real jerks when they drink." "Yeah, I'm a dick when I'm drunk. You. We didn't see your drunk side." They looked at you. "Oh. I don't get drunk." You said. They looked at you and laughed. "Impossible." Beth said. "I drank a lot when I was a teen. To take away my suffering. Now I'm just kind of used to the numbing effects." You said, as they stared at you.

"Anyways." Daryl said changing the subject; he knew you didn't want to talk about it. "Merle, my brother, had this dealer. This janky little white guy. A tweaker. One day we were over at his house watching TV. Wasn't even noon yet and we were all wasted. Merle was high. We were watching this show and Merle was talking all this dumb stuff about it. And he wouldn't let up. Merle never could. Turns out it was the tweaker's kids' favourite show. And he never sees his kids, so he felt guilty about it or something. So he punches Merle in the face. So I started hitting the tweaker, like, hard. As hard as I can. Then he pulls a gun, sticks it right here." He said, putting his hand up to his temple. "He says, 'I'm gonna kill you, bitch'. So Merle pulls his gun on him. Everyone's yelling. I'm yelling. I thought I was dead. Over a dumb cartoon about a talking dog."

"How'd you get out of it?" Beth asked. "The tweaker punched me in the gut. I puked. They both started laughing and forgot all about it. You want to know what I was before all this. I was just drifting around with Merle doing whatever he said we were gonna be doing that day. I was nobody. Nothing. Some redneck asshole and an even bigger asshole for a brother." Daryl said.

"You miss him, don't you?" Beth asked. "I miss Maggie. I miss her bossing me around. I miss my big brother, Shawn. He was so annoying and overprotective. And my dad. I thought—I hoped he'd just live the rest of his life in peace, you know? I thought Maggie and Glenn would have a baby. And he'd get to be a grandpa. And we'd have birthdays and holidays and summer picnics. And he'd get really old. And it'd happen, but it'd be quiet. It'd be okay. He'd be surrounded by people he loved. That's how unbelievably stupid I am." She said tearing up, grabbing her jar.

"That's how it was supposed to be." Daryl said. "I wish I could just change." "You did." "Not enough. Not like you. It's like you two were made for how things are now." I'm just used to it, things being ugly. Growing up in a place like this."

"Well, you got away from it." "I didn't." "You did" "Maybe you got to keep reminding me sometimes." "No. You can't depend on anybody for anything, right? I'll be gone someday." "Stop." "I will. You're gonna be the last man standing. No offense." She said to you. "You are. You're gonna miss me so bad when I'm gone, Daryl Dixon."

"You ain't a happy drunk at all." He said. "Yeah, I'm happy. I'm just not blind. You got to stay who you are, not who you were. Places like this, you have to put it away." "What if you can't?" Your thoughts came out in voice. "You have to. Or it kills you."

"We should go inside." Daryl said. "We should burn it down." Beth suggested. Daryl got up, "We're gonna need more booze."

-

You got the remainder of moonshine and had a party. You all spilled it everywhere, the back of the house to the front porch. "You wanna?" Daryl said handing Beth the matches. "Hell yeah." She said putting the flame up to the wade of cash. Daryl threw it into the house. You threw a bottle, causing the flames to grow. The three of you started walking. Beth turned around and stopped putting up her middle finger. She nudged Daryl, he did the same; then you. Soon later you saw a pack of walkers and you started the walking journey back up again.-

~~~~

Don't be a silent reader!! VOTE/COMMENT/SUGGEST/SHARE.

-Thanks, Shaide <3

UPDATED 12/24/15 at 9:20PM