CHAPTER 15- I WISH YOU WERE FOR ME

Start from the beginning

When I lay on my bed, trying to sleep off all the problems in my life, I could not force myself to stop thinking about everything I witnessed at the charity event. Aaron was the last person I wanted to think about right now, but ironically, he was the only one on my mind.

The image of him kissing Lahaina was constantly replaying itself like a hell loop I could not escape. All my life I had watched Lahaina being adored by my father and her mother while my mom was snatched away from me. She was loved at home and admired everywhere she went because that was what my father demanded of people. I always compared my life to her, always knowing I was never going to have it as easy as her. But I never envied her for it. I might have always wished for my father to love me as much as he did Lahaina, but never for once did I wish for her to not be loved.

Today, I did. I envied her. I wished it was me in her place. I wanted to have her share of happiness. I wished Aaron was for me. I wish he had chosen me over her.

After Dylan and Nadia, he was the only person who made me feel special and cared for. He took out time from his busy schedule to spend it with me. He made me laugh. I liked being with him. Even after trying to convince myself to not get closer to him, I knew I liked him a lot.

I could not even blame him for being with Lahaina. I knew from the very beginning that this was going to happen someday. My father was constantly trying to get Aaron and Lahaina together and even with all the plans of keeping my distance and setting boundaries, nothing had worked. I had chosen to ignore everything and focused only on my time with Aaron and look where it landed me: in my bed, crying for a man who was going to marry my step-sister.

After seeing my parents' relationship, I had never wanted to get into one. It always led to heartbreak and betrayals. My father had hurt my mother, who had loved him dearly, again and again. Sometimes it was physically and other times it was emotionally. I had seen her cry, trying to hide her pain and I had promised myself I was never going to love anyone. My father was the prime example of a man in my life and it had further convinced me that I shall never make that mistake. And yet, I had done exactly that.

I heard my cell phone ringing in the walk-in closet. I had dropped it there on the top of the dress. I closed my eyes waiting for it to go off, but when it kept on ringing for the fourth time, I had to get it.

"Caro," Nadia said as soon as I answered, "what happened?" Her voice was fearful.

"What happened?" I asked. Did she know? But how?

"You're crying, aren't you?" Nadia asked. She sounded too worried for me to lie to her.

"I'll be fine by tomorrow," I told her and even myself.

"Okay, stop doing this. You're scaring me. What happened? Your cousin called and said something happened to you. What is it?"

"It's only me overreacting, Nadia. I just need some sleep," I told her. I had to bite my lower lip when I felt my voice was going to crack.

"I'm the overdramatic one between us so don't lie to me. Either tell me what it is or I'm coming to your place right this instant," she threatened.

"It's late. Can you please come tomorrow morning?" I asked. As much as I wanted to be left alone for tonight, I knew I was going to need her tomorrow. No one could cheer me up as Nadia did.

"Yes, of course. But please don't cry," she literally begged.

I ended the call and threw my phone back on the chair. Climbing my bed, I turned to look at the little picture of my mother hugging me outside an art exhibition.

"I'm sorry I repeated your mistake, mom," I said and closed my eyes.

The next morning I woke up with puffy eyes and a severe headache. It was worse than a hangover. As I did not want to think about 'the thing I did not want to think about', I busied myself with the morning chores.

I had to put on a lot of makeup to hide the dark circles under my eyes and ensure I didn't look like a walking corpse. I was barely done when my door burst open and in came a very anxious Nadia to engulf me in a bear hug.

"Oh, Caro. What happened?" She asked, cupping my face between her palms and forcing me to look at her. I wanted to hug her again and cry my heart out to her, but that had to wait.

"Can I stay with you for a few days?" I asked. I did not want to meet anyone in my house. All I needed now was a few days to live in peace before I decided on the future.

"That shouldn't be a question, Caroline," Nadia said and started helping me with packing my bags.

"But what about your jerk father? He'll probably drag you back here," Nadia stopped to look at me.

"He may. But I don't want to stay here for now," I told her, without looking up.

"That's what I wanted to hear. I'll deal with your father if it ever comes to that." Nadia smiled, following me to the closet and grabbing stuff to throw them quite precisely in the opened bag.

No, she would not deal with my father. Neither would I ever do anything that could lead to her harm nor will I allow her to do that to herself.

The door was flung open again, but to my utter disappointment, it was Lahaina this time. She was glowing with happiness and had a very obvious smirk on her lips.

"The bitch is here as well?" Lahaina said the instant she saw Nadia coming out of the closet.

"Of course, you're here, Lahaina," Nadia was too focused on quickly helping me pack my bags so she could take me out, to even look at Lahaina.

"I'm too happy to take notice of you," she said to Nadia, then turned to me. "I'm getting married!" Lahaina declared.

"So, you finally found your man-whore? That's great!" Nadia retorted. I zipped the bag shut, trying hard to ignore Lahaina's presence and words.

"To Aaron Woodwords. He could buy your life with a snap of his fingers so you better watch what you say," Lahaina said. Just hearing the name Nadia turned to look at me, realization finally dawning on her.

It was only yesterday that I was gushing to her about how excited I was to meet him again. Nadia had teased me for it. Now she was in total shock with the announcement.

"So, dear Caro," Lahaina said, her voice sarcastic, "will you please bless me with your presence at my wedding as the bride's maid?"

"You bloody-" Nadia started to say, but Lahaina turned on her heels and walked away.

When she turned to look at me her eyes reflected the pain in mine. She didn't ask me anything, rather spoke in a low tone, "I'll go pull my car to the door. Be quick."

I gave her a nod and she rushed outside. Picking up my bag, I walked down the stairs only to stop at the last step because of a familiar voice coming from the living room.

"What made us so lucky to be blessed by your presence, Mr Woodwords?" My father said, in a tone which he often used to flatter others for favors.

"You know what it is," I heard Aaron say.

I could only see the top of his head as he sat on the high-end chair. My father sat opposite to him with Lahaina sitting to his right.

"I don't think I do," he said. For a moment I thought his eyes turned in my direction, but for once I did not care.

"Then hear it out. I'm here because I want to marry your daughter," Aaron said, monotonously.

"Oh my God. I'm so happy for you Lahaina!" Dad cried out of happiness then turned to give Lahaina a side hug.

I did not know how long their celebrations continued because I walked out of the house. Hopefully, to never return.

- Analia