The Good In Me

The Good In Me: Chapter 32
--------------------

The silence was agonizing.

I hadn't said much after I had supposedly forgiven Romeo for killing James. It was an instinct, and I knew it would've been something James would've wanted me to do.

Sometimes forgiveness is the only escape from the pain.

I stared out the car window, watching the busy street zoom past us in a blur. Romeo had tried to start a conversation. Key word as in 'tried', but he shut his mouth after he realized I wasn't up for much conversing. Thoughts of Amy, Derek, and my parents flooded my brain.

How could've I forgotten about them?

This entire time, I was selfish. Worrying about myself and what I was going to do next, never stopping to think that my friends and family were worrying or wondering where I was.

I sighed, rubbing my temple. Aria was probably confused and worried to death. I specifically told her I would be back from that night at the club, but...damnit! I didn't keep my promise. From the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of Romeo glancing over at me, probably sensing my frustration.

"We'll be there soon." He mumbled. I didn't know exactly where 'there' was, but it seemed like an indication that he was taking me home. "I'll make up something and just tell your parents we lost track if time or something. "

Romeo Romero? Covering for me? Well that's a surprise.

And apparently so was the fact that I said that out loud without thinking. I heard him chuckle, sending me that signature smirk. "Don't get use to it, ciliegia."

Oh, would you look at that, my little nickname. "Don't call me that." I whined.

"Oh shut up. You know you love it." He smirked, bumping his shoulder against mine, before looking back at the road. I frowned at his words. Glancing at him, he still had a ghost of a smile on his lips. I wanted nothing more than to punch it off.

More like kiss it off.

I scoffed at my stupid thought. So captured in my thoughts, I didn't realize we were making our way up into my driveway. I let out a sigh of relief that I didn't notice I was holding until now. Romeo sent me a nervous glance, fumbling with the car keys.

"You don't have to. I can go in myself." I start to make my way out of the car, when his hand reached out and grabbed a hold of my arm.

"I promised I'd talk to them. Didn't I?" He stepped out of the car, following closely after me.

I was hesitant at first, but I forced myself to ring that damn door bell. Only after a few mere seconds, the front door slid open.

"You!"

Great. Just great.

"Amy, what's wrong dear?!" I heard my mom yell from somewhere in the house.

"Where have you fuckin been?! Did you just suddenly decide to drop off the face of the earth or something?! Because if you were going to do that, you could've at least told me." Her eyes diverted to something behind. "You! You..you fucking fucker!" She snarled, pointing an accusing finger at him. "This is all your fault!"

"What the hell is going on?" Derek stepped up behind Amy, startled for a moment to see me standing there, but then his gaze landed on Romeo. "Babe, go back into the house." I hadn't noticed it at first, but at that moment I did, when Derek's hand landed on Amy's round belly.

He nudged her into the house, as she continued to stare daggers at Romeo. As soon as Amy was out of sight, he turned to us. "What are you doing here?"