Never Be

Never Be: Chapter 13 continued...
------------------------

- Romeo's POV -

By Saturday, the only miracle I had witnessed was watching my sister, Frida, finally kick a soccer ball without tripping over her own feet. So when Ethan had called up, reminding me there was a party tonight at his, I had agreed. It would help me get my mind of Juliet and the decision she had to give me sooner or later.

"Boo, you suck!" I yelled, chuckling as she ran, completely missing the kick, then running into the tree behind her.

Frida rolled her eyes. "This is serious, RJ." She said earnestly, wincing as she held herself and sitting on the grass. "If I don't figure this out, I'm never going to make the soccer team."

"I knoooow." I walked over, sitting down beside her. "But if I remember correctly, you were never a fan of soccer. So why are you so all of a suddenly wanting to learn how to play?" I raised a brow.

"Do I have to have a reason?"

I stared at her. She stared back. And we stayed that way for a few seconds before she looked away. "You have a reason, and you're going to tell me. Is it a boy?" She shrugged. "It is a boy, isn't it?"

"Why do you care?" She stood up abruptly. "Why now?" I stayed quiet. "Ever since dad left, all you've ever seemed to do, is not care. Oh, Caleb got a scholarship to Stanford, you don't care. Stephan finally took his first baby steps, you don't care. Valerie and her softball team made it to state, you don't care. Dad got his girlfriend pregnant, you don't care. If mom died, you wouldn't care!"

I jumped up, yanking her to the side of the tree. "Don't you dare ever say that again." I growled. "You know damn well that if mom died, I would care. I love mom. I love you. I love Caleb . I love Valerie. And most importantly, I love Stephan. But dad? He's dead to me." I hissed.

My father. My father? He doesn't deserve to be called my father. To me, he's just Ben Romero.

I noticed her glancing back and forth between my face and my fists, so I slowly unclench them. Sighing, I look down at her. "You are my family, and I love you all. I may not show it, but I do." I pulled her into my embrace, placing a kiss to her head.

After a few minutes of silence, she spoke up. "It's a boy."

"What?"

"I want to learn soccer because of a boy. It's stupid, I know, but...I just really like him, and- and, making it onto the team is my only chance."

"Only chance of what? Making a fool of yourself?" I joked.

"No." She glared up at me. "I want to prove to him that I'm as good as all the girls out there. He always goes for the athletic girls, specifically soccer girls." She frowned.

"So?" I snorted, glancing her over. "If that's what he wants, then screw him. You don't have to do something you don't want to do just for a boy. If you like art and drawing on everything, then stick with that. If you like singing your head off, then do that. If you like dancing till you're feet start to bleed, then dance your feet till your feet bleed. Because you know why? Because that's who you are. Frida, you can draw, sing, dance, and act. Anyone would be die to have all your talents. And you're beautiful, so that's a bonus." I grinned. "Just be yourself. I may not follow my own advice," I hesitated. "but...just follow mine. You won't regret it."

"Wow. Who knew a jerk like you could give the greatest advice."

"Well, you know what they say. Sometimes the stupidest people have the smartest words." I smirked smugly to myself.