Rebecca snapped her head around at me and glared for just a moment before putting on a fake smile. I could recognize it so well because my own mum does the same thing. 

"Oh Liam, hello. Have a seat, I'm just making breakfast before I head to work."

"Uh, thank you." I said sheepishly, walking over to sit by Shawn. "By the way, I'm not Carter's boyfriend. We're just friends."

Rebecca had her back to me but I would bet anything that she was smiling. She didn't seem to like me very much. 

"Well that's good to know." She said as she turned off the stove.

Ouch

"So, you have to work on a Sunday?" I asked, trying to make polite conversation. It wouldn't do me well to let this woman's rudeness get to me. She doesn't have to like me in order for me to like her daughter.

Rebecca sighed as she made a plate of eggs and bacon. "Unfortunately, yes. I'm the liason for the water district office in London, and we've been having a conflict with some chemical companies lately so I've been working almost every day."

"Oh I'm sorry to hear that."

She didn't reply, but nodded a thanks at me as she set a plate in front of Shawn. He just barely looked up from his notebook to thank her. I leaned over to see that he wasn't writing, but drawing instead. 

"Well Shawn, I'm going to leave now. Anne will be home today, so if you need anything you call her, okay? She's only a few houses down." Shawn nodded at his mother's question, waving her off as she kissed his head. She turned to me with another fake smile. "Liam feel free to help yourself to any food in the house and please tell Carter I've set up a dinner with her father tonight."

"Yes ma'am, I will."

She looked at me skeptically for a moment, her guard coming down.

"And please," She began, "I know Carter gets easily freaked out by these things, but don't let her leave again. At least not without a proper goodbye."

I froze, gulping as I managed to give Rebecca a curt nod. She gave me a genuine smile before grabbing her bag and darting out the door.

"Why did you take my sister?"

I jumped as Shawn spoke the second the door closed behind his mum.

"What?"

"You took my sister, she left and went somewhere else and now she's back with you. Why did you take her?" He asked again, glaring at me. I know this kid was only eleven, but the look he was giving me was enough to take me to my grave.

"Look kid, I didn't take your sister. I only met her a couple months ago, and we've only been friends for a week or two." I explained.

He looked me up and down, with narrowed eyes. I had to repress a chuckle. This kid was obviously one for theatrics.

"And you're not her boyfriend?"

"I'm not her boyfriend."

"Does she have a boyfriend?"

"No."

"Do you want to be her boyfriend?"

"Yes I do."

"Well why don't you?"

"It's complicated."

"Grown up stuff?"

"Grown up stuff."

Shawn was quiet then, glaring at me as if it were a challenge. I raised an eyebrow at the kid and smiled. He was like a thirty year old trapped in an eleven year old's body.