Chapter 13

CARTER'S POV

I threw my copy of The Awakening down onto my coffee table, flopping down onto my couch dramatically.

"Fuck university!" I shouted out to my empty apartment.

I took a deep breath and stretched my arm out, almost falling off the couch to reach my phone. I checked my messages and surprise, surprise, no new texts. 

It's been five days since Liam's football match, and I have heard nothing from him. No texts, no calls, no visits to the restaurant. Bill isn't giving me any good info, and I haven't had a chance to ask Tanya about her weird behavior at the match. All in all, I'm in the dark about whatever the hell happened that day, and I don't like it.

My fingers hovered over the keyboard on my phone, itching to text Liam and ask him why he had been so cold to me that day. I sighed though, turning my phone off and setting it back down. 

He was cold to me that day because I'm nothing. I'm a nobody, he's probably got tons of girls at his feet who aren't bitter and sarcastic like yours truly. I was an idiot to think I was somebody to him.

Standing up from my couch, I made my way into the kitchen. It was eight o'clock on a Friday night and as usual, I didn't have plans. Which is why I was doing schoolwork and just wearing a tshirt that barely covered my ass in my empty apartment. Don't judge me, I hate pants. 

I grabbed some of my trusty ramen noodles and prepared them, putting them in the microwave for three minutes. While they cooked, I leaned back against the counter.

Smiling to myself, I thought about the night I had dinner over at Bill and Tanya's. Bill relentlessly teasing me about eating ramen noodles too much. He has a point though.

That got me thinking about him. Brown Eyes. He was so cheeky that night, but in a fun way. That was one of the first nights in years that I genuinely smiled. And it was all thanks to him.

I sighed as I thought about him. No matter how much I try to deny it to myself, I let myself get attached. I broke my one rule, and I loved doing it. But now I face the consequences, which is getting used to yet another person's absence.

The microwave beeped and I shook my head to focus on the task at hand. 

Just as I was pouring the flavor packet into the noodles, there was a knock at the door. Not just a knock though, a I'm-about-to-tear-down-your-door knock.

I paused. Who the hell is at my door on a Friday night?

Whoever it was knocked yet again, even harder than before.

"Uh, just a second!" I yelled out, scrounging the area for some sweats that might be laying around.

"Damn will you hold on!" I shouted as they knocked yet again. I was fearing for the safety of my door.

"Holy shit what do you want!" I screamed, running over to my door as they started banging on the door with no sign of stopping until I opened it.

I turned the handle and flung the door open, all ready and set to go to scream in someone's face, but my voice got caught in my throat.

Because standing right in front of me was none other than Brown Eyes himself, dressed in a suit.

Not only that though, he looked on the verge of tears, stress written all over his face.

"Liam what the -"

"Thank God you're here."

Before I could say anything else, he walked straight past me and into my apartment, leaving me bewildered. I stared out into the hallway where he had just been, glancing around to see if I was being punk'd before closing the door.