Chapter 21

A/N: Lots of other authors do this, so I thought I would give it a go. The songs for this chapter are:

Wipe Your Eyes - Maroon 5

Look After You - The Fray

I Know You Care - Ellie Goulding

Enjoy the chapter! 

CARTER'S POV

"Carter? Carter where are you?" Liam's voice called out to my apartment, startling me out of my depressing thoughts.

"In the kitchen." I croaked out, still sitting down on the floor from when Harry left.

I heard Liam drop something, presumably the bag he went to Tanya's house to get, then he was suddenly in front of me. I smiled weakly up at him, resting my head on my hand, my elbow propped up on my knee while my other leg stretched out in front of me.

"Are you alright?" He asked frantically, crouching down in front of me and looking at my face for any visible signs of a psychotic breakdown. "I saw Harry on the stairs, are you okay?"

I laughed humorlessly and nodded my head.

"Oh yeah, I'm just fine and dandy." I said bitterly. "My ex boyfriend showed up at my front door after three years of not seeing him, we yelled at each other, oh and then he told me my parents aren't together anymore. But you know, I'm just fine."

Liam sighed and shook his head, putting his hand on my cheek gently.

"Carter, please don't shut me out. Tell me what's going through your head."

"But Liam, shutting people out is what I do best." I said matter-of-factly. "I run away from everything. I'll probably run away from you too, you better get out quick while you still can."

Liam just laughed at my bitterness, hooking his arms around my waist and pulling me up to a standing position. He left one hand on my hip and used the other to tilt my chin up to face him.

"Well if you run, I'll just have to catch up with you won't I?"

I just stared up at Liam. He was smiling, but I could tell he was totally serious. When Harry walked out the door I forced myself to stop crying, to put up my walls again and just forget it even happened. But now with Liam in front of me, being his perfect self, the walls were coming tumbling right back down. If they were ever even up to begin with.

I could feel my bottom lip start to quiver and Liam ever so slowly wiped his thumb across my cheek, catching a stray tear.

"I'm not okay." I choked out, gasping. "I'm definitely not okay. I don't think I did the right thing in leaving London. And now that the drug ring got busted - oh yeah, Harry told me that too. Those three guys are in prison now, who would've thought." I let out a strained chuckle, shaking my head from side to side as Liam remained silent. "But now that they're gone, I should probably go back. But at the same time, I don't want to go back. I like it here in Kingsville. I like that Bill and Emma tease me all the time, I like that Benny the doorman always brings me the newspaper. I like that everytime I drive past Teller's Bridge, I think about you and your stupid brown eyes that I couldn't get out of my head for two damn months."

The tears were a steady stream now, my shoulders shaking slightly. Liam just smiled down at me, pressing his lips firmly to my forehead. I was shaking even harder now, fisting his shirt in my hand.

"You're so strong." He whispered so low I could barely hear him. He said nothing then, just held me against him. "Did you really dream about my gorgeous brown eyes for two whole months?"