28. Mistakes, feuds and wrong kisses

What will I do, after this year passes and then you will only be in my memories, not in my life. - Alex
~

~~

28. Mistakes, feuds and wrong kisses

Months until the contract become null? Four months!!!

(Alexandra)

Petitions were filed. Court hearing dates were set. Michael was almost sure that they would be winning the case.

It was a good month for Alex.

She had finished working on Mathilda's mansion --which was so beautiful at the end, if she so say herself-- and she already had a new job to decorate Emma's new house -- Emma and Mark had been living in a rented house before.

Working with Emma was almost like a vacation. Often times, Andy and Brian would follow her around, pretending to be her assistant. Sometimes Beth and Eliza stopped by, with food and lemonade and they would talk about the silliest thing that would always make Alex feel so damn happy. She would miss them. They were already her family and she was still lying to them. It felt like a rock, but she couldn't break her promise to Logan. Logan always came first. It was how it was and she couldn't do anything about that.

She had also signed a contract to start working with one of Mathilda's good friends, Avery Carlos. He had seen Alex's work when he visited Mathilda's house and he had asked for her and contacted her to work for him on his daughter's house, which coincidentally enough, Logan was building.

It was a good month all in all, but right this moment, it wasn't going exactly good for Alex.

"Oh, come on Dan." Alex sighed as she leaned across the kitchen slab. They were back to baking -- he had been trying to do that for months now, trying be the key word-- and he was making a bigger mess, a much bigger mess this time. And Logan was enjoying her misery as he sat there without moving a finger and watching his best friend torturing her. "Dear Lord. Save me." She groaned dramatically.

"Alex, you are a very impatient woman. You do know that practice makes perfect." Daniel said, looking like a hot mess. His chin was covered with flour and he smelled like burnt butter.

"I do. But what you are doing is not practice. It is practically murder." She said as she watched him took out a very burnt, very black cake out from the oven.

"Keep dissing me, but one day you will see. I will be better than you. I will be." He looked determined. She didn't know how he did that, keeping up with his optimism about baking. She had promised that she would bake for him every day, but he was adamant about making his own damn cakes, which never come out anywhere near to being edible.

"In your dreams, Dan." She poked her tongue out as she whipped another batch of batter. "Watch and learn, amateur."

"Every great Baker started with a charred cake."

"Where did you read that, Smart guy?" Alex frowned as she poured the batter in the tray and pushed it inside the oven. "They use timer because it is easy to keep track of time. They don't just turn it all the way and forget about it." She said as she stared at Dan , who was now peacefully licking the bowl clean.

"This is yummy. Hey Log, you want some?"

"No thanks, and Dan, what the hell is this thing? If you can make a million dozens of it, I can probably build you a house with them. And I promise it will hold." Logan said as he inspected the brick like cake.