.48

>>Tryna get back into daily updates<<

It was only a little less than a week left till Thanksgiving.

Jason and I were relaxing at his house in front of the fire until he went out to the store to get condoms and some home essentials, leaving me behind for his return.

Well, I figured while I was waiting, I could start dinner and tidy up some.

After I leave the chicken in the oven to bake, I go into Jason's bedroom and start cleaning up some. Not that his room was filthy or anything, I just had to occupy myself somehow.

I eventually come across his trashcan that I was going to throw away until I see something that looks familiar.

I put the trashcan back down on the floor and grab the crumbled up, light creme-colored card, identical to the one that was sent to me by Mister Wayne.

My brows furrow as I straighten it out, seeing that it was a Thanksgiving invitation from Bruce. Like the ones Dick and I received, and the same one that Jason lied to me about when I asked him about it.

A few days ago, a day or two after I received my invitation, I asked Jason if he had gotten one too.

And he told me no.

So we had decided that spending Thanksgiving with my parents was fine and Dick would spend his plus two on Kori and Izzy at Bruce's gathering.

But now...I was interested as to why he threw it away and lied to me.

He had to have gotten it the same day I did if Bruce sent out the invitations all in one day; and even if he didn't, Jason still should've told me he got one if I already asked him about it.

So now I wait patiently on the couch, legs crossed, for Jason to come home so I can ask some questions.

I mean, who would say no to Thanksgiving with the Bruce Wayne? With your significant other, in the Wayne Manor?

Hawaii? Yeah, that's awesome too, but my parents live there now. There will be plenty of reasons and more opportunities to fly there eventually, but Wayne Manor was a one time only thing.

And there had to be a reason why we were invited without Dick's help, there had to be a reason why Jason didn't want to go. And that's what I was gonna find out.

When he got home, I was waiting for him at the door.

"Mm, it smells so good in here." He smiles, carrying three plastic bags in one of his hands as the other closes and locks the door behind him.

My legs and arms are crossed as I sit on the couch, looking over at him knowingly.

He looks slightly confused, briefly looking around before meeting my eyes again, "...uhh. What?"

"Why did you lie to me?" I ask, revealing the crumbled up invitation from my crossed arms.

He looks at it and then his eyes roll, and when he looks back at me, his eyes are slightly narrowed, "You went through my trash? How low is that, Brielle?"

"For your information, I was cleaning when I saw it." I reply a bit defensively, "Why did you tell me you didn't get an invitation?"

"I don't want to go. As simple as that." He answers indifferently, walking pass me and to the bedroom.

I stand up and follow, "Why?"

"Can you stop asking me questions, Brielle?" He says in an annoyed tone, "I told you I don't want to go."

"Then why wouldn't you just tell me that instead of lying to me?" I question and he slightly snaps.

"What the hell did I just say?"

My brows push together even more than they already were, "Who the hell do you think you're talking to?!"

He glimpses at me before taking an irritated, strained sigh, "We're going to Thanksgiving with your parents anyway, Brielle. So whatever you're trying to get to is irrelevant."

"So me trying to figure out why you hate Bruce Wayne so much is irrelevant?" I ask when the puzzle pieces fit together.

He looks back at me and speaks lowly, "That's not what I'm saying."

"Then why when you were invited to Bruce's gala before, you said you didn't want to go?" I ask suspiciously, "There's obviously a reason why he invited us and a reason why you don't want to go this time too."

"We're spending Thanksgiving with your parents." He demands lowly, putting things up.

"You've already met my parents—"

"Not the way I wanted to." He slightly glares at me and I roll my eyes.

"We'll have plenty more opportunities to visit my parents, Jason. It's not that big of a deal—"

"Then why are you making it into one?!" He yells back at me, and it just brings me to yell back.

"Because you're hiding something from me! You don't just lie about something so small and not expect me to know there's something else you're hiding!"

"Brielle, I'm not saying this again. We are spending Thanksgiving with your parents or we're not spending it at all." He growls and my head moves back a little.

"So now it's my parents or not at all?"

"That's exactly how it is—"

"Okay, so what if I just go to Bruce's gathering alone and give the ticket to Izzy? She'd gladly spend her Thanksgiving with my parents —"

"Brielle—" He says, balling up the now empty plastic bags.

"No, don't Brielle me, Jason." I interrupt knowingly, looking at him with confusion and anger at the same time, "Why did you lie to me?!"

"I'm warning you now, Brielle." He says, "Leave it alone."

"Leave what alone, Jason?! What are you hiding from me?!" I yell; he had just made it so obvious that he was hiding it from me.

And as a bad habit of mine, I start thinking too hard about it; how would I ever know if Jason was hiding secrets from me before? Maybe he's hid more things in his trash and I never noticed. Or maybe even in his phone...

"Leave it alone." He repeats, walking pass me and out the bedroom.

"Are you really fucking serious, Jason?" I ask, watching him as I follow behind.

"I'm very serious." He answers simply.

"Why can't you tell me?" I ask, almost sadly from fears I've been through already.

He grabs his coat and swings the door open again, "Leave it alone."

He slams it shut when he leaves again, and I frown where I stand, alone again.

Does he not know me?

How can I leave it alone?

What the hell is "it" anyway?