.04

I took off my third pair of work clothes tiredly, plopping face down onto my bed, knowing I wasn't going to be able to take the break I needed.

And of course, I was right.

My phone rang loudly, so I stuffed my hand in the pocket of the apron to grab it.

I answered without looking, "Hello?"

"Get up. Time for patrol. I'm already logging in and," Izzy says quickly, "someone by the name of Red Hood wants to meet you in China Town."

I didn't even open my eyes from the name, "How did he find you?"

"Well, more like I found him..." She kept going, talking computer tracking language as I began to doze off.

"Come on, get up Brielle. You never know, Batman might be expecting Nightshade tonight."

I groaned, "You always say that."

Tonight was one of those nights that tired me out. I worked all day, from six in the morning to eleven at night, only to come home to leave as Nightshade again.

It wasn't everyday I had to do this though, my work hours switched every now and then. And unfortunately, they all mashed up today.

I sighed deeply, "I'm getting ready."

I could tell she was smiling on the other end of this phone, "That's more like it."

I pulled myself back up and to my closet to put on one of my Nightshade outfits. Grabbing a mask, I place it over my eyes and load my weapons. I decided to leave my sniper here, not feeling like sniping tonight.

I left through the window, forcing my body to stay in action.

I also decided to avoid going to China Town or anywhere near it. I didn't feel like being bothered by anyone or pissing anyone off by my grudging attitude.

"There's a mafia meeting close by you. Marlon Road."

"That's not too far, I guess," I sigh, making sure I had a full round of ammo in both of my pistols before replying, "I'll head there."

I swiftly made my way there, my blinks slowly starting to get heavier.

I rather do this the stealthy way; I don't have enough energy to go wild like I usually like to do.

I began to pick at the isolated house's locked door. The place seemed empty, but it was the site of the mafia meeting.

I silently walked into the dark house as Izzy announced, "Engaging night vision sequence."

I rolled my eyes as she did so and I was allowed to see everything in the dark.

I crept through the house, finding myself lucky that none of the floorboards creaked.

I came to a door that light was visible underneath. Voices became noticeable the nearer I came to it, which only confirmed they were in there.

I slowly cocked my gun before seeing how I should do this without being hurt. You know what?

Fuck it. What happens, happens.

I opened the door and walked in neutrally, the sound of clacking guns causing me to freeze.

I put my hands in the air. "Look, guys. I'm tired, and I want to get this over with quickly, so if you'd please just put your guns down and call the police to give yourselves up, there won't be a problem."

"And if we don't, bitch?"

I winced at the words, smiling and shaking my head a little, "You know, I really don't like being called that."

They laughed as if I wasn't a major threat.

"Yup, laugh it up," I sigh, feeling bored, "You're all gonna be dead in about sixteen seconds, so go ahead. Get it all out."

They calmed and looked at me.

"Bit- -"

He never got to finished because a bullet went straight through his head where the men stood in shock as if they believed I was bluffing.

I don't bluff.

"I told you I didn't like being called that. Now like I said before, you're all going to be dead in fifteen seconds and look. Seven seconds have already been wasted. So, now it's nine sec- -"

They started shooting in the middle of my sentence, causing my instincts to take over. Bullets were going everywhere, the sparks of the guns twinkling in my eyes.

"...nine seconds." I finished in a whisper as I finish the last one off.

When my adrenaline began to calm down, that's when the pain replaced it.

I looked down to see my stomach bleeding rapidly, causing a little shock to feel my body. But the pain of it conquered everything.

I fell onto the floor as my knees became weak from blood lost, my back hitting the wall hard.

I tried to apply pressure to the bullet wound, but it only made it worse for me. I couldn't do it myself.

"What have you gotten into?" A familiar voice asks and I look to the doorway to see Red Hood approaching me.

"You bitch! Why didn't you do anything when you see me clearly getting shot?!" I yell angrily and his head tilts to the side a little as he stops walking towards me to cross his arms.

"I just got here, because I came to help when your partner told me to, but now, I'm not appreciating the attitude-"

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry." I breathe heavily, desperately needing his aid, "I thought you watched the whole thing."

He helped me up by grabbing my arm first before picking me up bridal style, "No, I was in China Town where you were supposed to meet me."

"See, what had...happened was..." I say between another wince and deep breath.

He hummed knowingly, looking ahead the entire time, "Should've came instead of being shot here. I could've dealt with them later."

"Whatever, just ... ugh." I groan, leaning my head back lazily.

"You're gonna get blood all over my seats."

"Stop fucking complaining!" I exclaim as he carefully seats me in his car.

I rolled my eyes as he closes the door and walks around to the driver side.

Yeah, just take your precious fucking time. It's not like I'm bleeding to death here!