Conversations

Rika returned to her apartment, falling onto the nearest chair. She pulled out her phone, dialing a familiar number.

 "Hello?"

 "Miss Rika?"

 "Yes, it's me."

 "What do you need?"

 "Ah, I'd like to withdraw a sum of money from my account."

 "How much exactly?" Rika pursed her lips.

 "Eight million yen," she answered. "More or less." Her contact on the other line inhaled slowly.

 "Confidentially, I assume?" he asked.

 "Precisely," Rika answered. A sigh was heard on the other end of the line.

 "I'll have cash ready in five minutes. Where do you want it delivered?"

 "To my apartment of course," Rika answered easily. "Don't worry, I'm completely fine. My sister is just into something over her head, and I'm going to bail her out." She laughed lightly. "But I'll be fine. After my semester here I'll return to America and continue my career. I just need to get this semester of teaching in so that I can complete my degree." The man on the other end laughed.

 "Don't overwork yourself, darling Rika," he warned her.

 "I wouldn't dream of it!"Rika replied. "Besides, dealing with high school students is child's play. Don't worry Akito, I'll return to you soon enough." Akito sighed.

 "But if Kyoya gives you any trouble, I'll have him removed from Ouran," he threatened. Rika smiled.

 "Akito, I'll be fine," she promised. "Besides, after this one semester we can finally start our life together." Akito seemed impatient on the other end of the line.

 "Rika, you've done enough, you can easily-" he began.

 "No Akito, you don't understand. I can't just let you support us. I need to have a firm foundation."

 "Why? Because you want to leave?" Rika squeezed her eyes shut.

 "No, I just want to be able to help you Akito," she answered. "Just get the eight million for me, okay?"

 "I can order Kyoya to-"

 "No, this is Haruhi's problem, and I will help her with it no matter what you say or do!"

 "Rika Fujioka, you will let your fiancé help you-" Akito threatened.

 "Akito Ootori, you will let your completely capable fiancé handle this or so help me..." Rika bit back. A long silence hung between them before Akito caved.

 "I'll bring it," he agreed. "But you have to tell me if you need anything."

 "I will," Rika promised. "But you can't tell your brother about this."

 "I won't," Akito promised. Rika smiled.

 "I love you!" she said, closing the conversation. She ended the call, and stood from her chair.

Five minutes later, a knock sounded at Rika's door. She hurried to open it, revealing a sharply dressed young man.

 "Akito!" she exclaimed, jumping into his arms.

 "Rika!" he replied just as happily. As she hugged him, she reached into his pocket to take out a large envelope of money. She released him, smiling.

 "Thank you darling!" she sang, pulling away. She went to shut the door, but Akito stuck his foot in the doorframe.

 "Don't I get to come in?" he asked. Rika shook his head.

 "That was the deal," she reminded him. "One semester apart, then we have permission to marry." Akito frowned.

 "Surely I can convince father that-"

 "No," Rika insisted. "He needs to see that I am capable of holding my own. He must accept me into the Ootori family on his own. Otherwise our actions until now will have been for naught." She smiled faintly at the man before her, then slipped off her necklace.

 "Take this," she told him. "And remember me. Now go!" She pushed Akito away, shutting her door.

A/N: Okay, so I need to establish that Akito is Kyoya's older brother. He's the middle brother, and Rika's fiancé. So that clears up any romantic interests at Ouran, though I might write in Haruhi and someone. Rika's past is pretty shady, but I'll try to explain it in later chapters. I don't know where in the plot to put this, but I know where I want to end it. Don't forget, comments and suggestions are always welcome!