Chapter 43

There was a knock at the door. I walked slowly with shaking hands. It was Loft. I opened the door and quickly shut it behind him. He put the bags down and turned to the kids and I.

"Okay," he said. "So according to some policemen here in Sacramento, Jason's here already. He tapped into the computer network and that's what happened earlier. He knows that you've evacuated and is looking for you already. I'm not 100 percent sure that he doesn't know where we are, but right now, we're safe. Have you talked to your team?"

I nodded and sighed, "Yes. Spencer said they're about 30 minutes out."

"Good. I want you there to go get settled in to your rooms and take a breather. I'll keep a look out."

I nodded and took the kids' bags, motioning for them to follow me. They did and I put them in the same room as me. I wasn't letting them sleep alone. I settled them in and told them to take a nap. They fell asleep and I sat on the bed next to them, trying to calm my nerves.

All of a sudden, there was a loud knocking on the front door. I peeked through the window and saw a car that definitely didn't belong to the FBI. I shook the kids awake and led them downstairs as Loft was yelling at me to do so.

"Okay baby," I looked at Eli. "You have to be the man of the house right now, okay? Mommy has to go help Agent Loft, but I promise you that you'll be okay as long as you do what you're told. Keep this basement door locked, no matter what, unless it's your father or I saying it's safe. Stay back here in this corner behind the couch and do not come out. Take care of your sister okay?"

"Okay mommy," he said. I kissed him.

"I love you."

"I love you too mom," he said with a sense of pride.

"Ellie, come here," I said. I held her close to my side. "You have to be strong. Listen to your brother and stay behind that couch. You'll be good, right?"

"Right," she said, putting her hand on my face again.

"Trust me?"

"I trust you mommy," she said. "I love you."

"I love you too baby."

I ushered them back to the couch and instructed them to keep their ears covered. I put an old blanket over them after kissing them one more time. I ran upstairs to Agent Loft. He was in the hall looking through the window. I took my place at his side.

"Is that him?" I asked, referring to the knocking at the door.

He nodded, "Yes. Here's the plan. Your team just landed, they should be here any minute. I'm going to go out through the back and try to flank him, but you have to lock the door behind me."

"But you won't be able to get back in," I said.

"I know. Just do it," he said. I nodded. I followed him to the back door and he opened it silently. "Still have your gun?"

"Yes sir," I said. He nodded and went out. I closed the door and locked it quickly. I felt my heart slamming against my rib cage and knew that it wouldn't end well for Loft. I could hear yelling before gunshots rang through the air. I heard Jason's wicked, crazy hollering and knew that Loft was probably dead. More tears flowed and I grabbed my gun, kneeling behind the living room couch. I said prayer after prayer hoping that Spencer would get here soon.

After a minute, the door began do give way to Jason's beatings. I cringed and took a deep breath. This was it. Fight or flight. The door broke down and I stood from my position, aiming at Jason square on, ready to shoot.

"Well don't you look ravishing," he said. He had a gun too, pointed straight at me. "Blonde does you well."

"So you're out to get me, huh?" I asked.