Chapter 25

Spencer and I were back on track. I stayed with him instead of getting back into my old apartment. The court hearing for Jason and I was in 3 days, and I was nervous as ever. Spencer and his team were all coming with me to back me and give me support.

I had lost touch with James, Brooke and Luke after a while. Losing Gen was enough to make it to where we didn't want to be around each other any more. It was okay though, because we all felt the same. We didn't want to remind ourselves of her.

Spencer and I were house hunting and had set a date for our wedding. We would get married on November 15; 6 months from today. I protested, saying we should do it sooner, but Spencer wanted time to let the case with Jason get taken care of.

"Spence," I called. "Have you seen my blouse?"

"Hanging in the bathroom," he called back. We flew to Kansas for the court case in 2 hours. I threw my blouse and toiletries in my bag and zipped it up.

"Ready?" I asked.

"Let's do it."

Fast forward 2 days. Me, Spencer and his team stayed in a hotel in adjacent rooms. I pulled on my slacks and the button up blouse I had packed. I put on my flats and pulled my hair back. I looked professional enough for court.

We all met in the lobby and went to the courthouse. Before we walked in, we all stood in front of the regal building and the large steps. I felt shivers run down my spine in fear of what would take place today.

JJ put an arm around my shoulders. "This is going to work out," she said. "You'll get through it." I nodded. We stood in a circle and Rossi said a quick prayer before we entered the building. Spencer held my hand as long as he could until he had to take a seat in the pews and I had to sit next to my family's lawyer. Jason strolled in a few minutes later with his own lawyer, but no family or friends in tow. He waved at me with a cheeky grin but I just faced forward.

Knock, knock.

"Court is now in session," the judge said. "All rise." Everyone stood for a moment while the security officers swore Jason and I in. "Be seated."

Jason's lawyer asked me questions first. "When was the first time Jason was violent with you?"

"April 2nd," my throat ran dry as I spoke.

"You seem nervous, Ms. Collins," she said suspiciously. "Tell me what happened."

"I was held over at work due to an emergency surgery," I said. "I came home at 7:30 and Jason was mad because I had received a call from my ex fiancé, Dr. Spencer Reid. I explained everything from how Dr. Reid had taken care of me a lot to how he hadn't returned my calls ever since I came here. I said that I missed Dr. Reid and that I still loved him. Jason accused me of cheating and I told him he was being ridiculous and that I wasn't cheating. He retaliated by hitting me and he acted violent toward me many times after."

"So what I heard from that is that you triggered his violence," she said.

"Maybe so, but he had no right to hit me," I argued.

"If I had hit you, it would have been justified sweetheart!" Jason yelled. The judge snapped at him as well as his lawyer.

The next few hours were filled with the same questions over and over. Jason plead innocent every time he was asked a question, and the jury seemed convinced. I had a pit in my stomach; he was going to win this case.

"Has the jury reached a verdict?" The judge asked.

"We have your honor," a man stood. I held my breath. "We find the defendant innocent of all charges filed against him."