Chapter 28

Spencer returned home a week and a half later, only to be called back out again one day later. I could tell work was putting a lot of stress on him and he didn't know how to deal with it. He looked exhausted.

It was 7 pm, I was sitting alone in the silent house next to Cooper who was curled up by my side. I felt lonely in such a big house all by myself. I had tried to call Spencer earlier that day, but he didn't pick up. I wondered if he would pick up now.

Two rings.

Three rings.

Five rings.

Six. I was about to hang up when I heard Spencer answer.

"Yes?" He answered.

"Hi baby," I said softly. "How are you doing?"

"Fine. Do you need something?" He asked sharply.

I paused. "Well, no-"

"Okay, well I'm busy so..." He trailed off.

"Okay. That's all you had to say," I said back.

"Well I didn't want you getting upset like you are now."

"I'm not up-"

"Yeah, you are, and I don't appreciate it."

I took a deep breath, knowing he was just on edge. "I don't appreciate your attitude Spencer. Good luck on your case. Be safe," I said quickly. He said no more before hanging up.

I shrugged it off. As much as it bothered me that he was being this way, I knew it was just how he reacted to stress and that he just needed to come home. I laid in bed, contemplating sending him a goodnight text, but didn't; I knew he either wouldn't respond or it wouldn't end pretty.

The next day, I got up, showered, went to work, came home, went to bed. Repeated the next day. And the next day, and the next week. It was taking Spencer and the team a full two wherever they were at. I decided I would call Garcia to check on their progress.

"Hello my love!" She answered happily, immediately putting a smile on my face.

"Hiya Garci," I replied. "Hey, how's that case going? Are you going to be back any time soon?"

"What do you mean?" She sounded genuinely confused. "We've been back for four days."

This was news to me. I hadn't heard from Spencer or anyone else, but it was mostly his job to tell me they were back.

"I was just wondering because Spencer hasn't been home or called," I sighed.

"He's been at work..." She trailed into silence. "Are you guys okay?"

"We're fine," I said. "Or at least I thought."

"Well, I can call him, or you can try. You might want to proceed with caution though," she added.

"I can handle it, thank you though," I sighed once more.

"Okayyy," she sounded apprehensive. "Good luck sugar plum. Call if you need anything. Love ya."

"Love you too. Bye." I hung up before taking a deep breath and thinking about my issue here.

Spencer had a case. He's been gone for two weeks, but they were only out on the case for a week and a half. He's been at work, so obviously he wasn't kidnapped or something. So, he's choosing not to come home.