Chapter 13

Maddie's POV

I woke up Monday morning, ready to take on the day and excited to work. They were putting me on the night shift to start out but I had a meeting with the staff this morning to introduce myself. Spencer agreed to eat breakfast with me before I left. I heard a knock on the door and I answered it, letting Spencer in.

"Well don't you look fancy." He looked me up and down and winked, then laughed with me. I was wearing a black pencil skirt with black heels and a white blouse with my hair pulled back in a curled ponytail.

"I could say the same." I smirked and he cocked his head at me.

"This is just my regular sweater vest look."

"Exactly." We laughed together and ate our pancakes.

"Are you excited?" He asked.

"Well yeah," I said. "But this is only a meeting."

He nodded. "You need to come home and go to sleep when you're finished."

"Why would I do that?"

"You have the night shift," he sounded irritated. "You need to make sure you have enough sleep."

"Spencer I can't just sleep in the middle of the day." I rolled my eyes at him and started the dishes.

"Yes you can, you just don't want to." He said matter-of-factly. I decided to just ignore him and keep scrubbing so I didn't argue with him over something so small. "Do you want me to drop you off and pick you up from your meeting?" He asked.

I thought for a second. "Don't you have work to do? I don't want to distract you."

He scoffed at me. "Chances are I won't be busy. I can file reports really fast."

"Fine," I said. "But you have to stop lecturing me about sleep. I'll get enough sleep."

"I only do it because I care." He kissed my cheek and I smiled at him.

"Ready?" He asked. I nodded and we left. On the way there, he held my hand like I was his child going to preschool. "You can call if you need anything. I'll be here at 10 to get you." He kissed my cheek. "Good luck!" I smiled at him and went into the hospital.

"Ahh," the receptionist smiled at me. "So you did get that job huh?" I nodded and smiled at her. "Good luck with your meeting hun. Down the hall, 3rd door on the left." I thanked her and went on my way. As I walked, I felt the nerves set in. I texted Spencer.

I'm nervous. What if my coworkers don't like me? What if I embarrass myself?

My phone buzzed.

You're going to do just fine baby girl. The team wishes you luck. Knock 'em dead.

I smiled and walked through the door to see a team of people in scrubs and white coats. I was so overdressed. I heard one girl giggle and a guy beside her elbowed her and she straightened up, smiling at me.

"Goodmorning Ms. Collins." My new boss, Mr. Cameron Brunswick, shook my hand and I sat down across from him. "This is Veronica Shepman, Martin Jackson, Andrew Fischer, Jane Elkhart and Jarod Derman." He introduced everyone. "They're going to help you and show you the ropes for about the next week. If there are any patients you'll serve as an assistant to whoever is performing surgery until you have everything down." I nodded, understanding my place. It turned out Veronica was the girl that laughed and Andrew had elbowed her. Everyone seemed nice and I was ready to begin. Mr. Brunswick talked about procedure at the hospital and everything we have to do. I nodded, knowing everything from school. "Good to go?" He asked. I nodded.