Chapter 11

The next week went on like that. Spencer would help me with everything, and he would do anything I asked him to. I owed him big time. I figured at some point I'd have some kind of nightmare, but with Spencer sleeping next to me I slept like a baby. The best part about this was realizing how lucky I am to have Spencer. Whenever he helped me get dressed or helped me bathe, he always kept his eyes on mine. He respected me and I couldn't have been more grateful.

After that week, I was able to walk with my leg and that meant Spencer didn't have to stick around to help me all the time.

"Are you sure you want to try things on your own tonight?" He asked. "It's only been a week."

I nodded at him. "I need to get better." I said. "If I'm going to work at the hospital in 2 weeks I need to be fully mobile."

"They called you?" He asked excitedly. "When?"

"Yesterday. I told them I could do an interview and they said I pretty much had the job since I've been through school. So I told them I could start in 2 weeks." I grinned. He hugged me, picking me up and spinning me. I winced a little bit, but covered it in a smile so he wouldn't worry.

"That's so great baby," he kissed me and smiled, "we'll celebrate at some point."

I shook my head. "No, Spencer." I laughed. "We do not need to celebrate." He just hummed in response, which meant he was going to do something sneaky.

I looked at the clock, 7:03. "Spence, why don't you go home? It's 7 in the evening, you've helped me out enough for me to handle the 4 hours and 57 minutes left in the day."

"Don't forget the 26 seconds," he added, "and I don't know if I really want to leave you alone, what if something happens and I sleep through you trying to call me or something? What if you fall and don't have your phone? What if you can't-" I cut him off by putting my finger on his lips.

"Hush." I said. "You can't live by 'what if's, that's why you're beautiful little mind is so worried, Spence. You wouldn't believe what too much stress can do to the human body. Ulcers, headaches, restlessness, and not to mention all the diseases that you-" he cut me off by doing the same thing.

"I got it Mads." He giggled. "I'll go upstairs, but I want your house key so I can get in." I gave it to him. "Okay. Be careful beautiful. I don't want to see you fall or something. Keep your phone on you."

I nodded continuously. "Okay mom." I laughed and stood on my tip toes to give him a good hug. "Love you, boy genius."

"Love you more, Maddie. Call if you need anything." And with that, he kissed my head and left. I decided to shower and just go to bed.

Showering was difficult, to put it simply. I didn't slip or anything, but trying to scrub your scalp with a broken wrist (colles fracture, mind you) is painful. I finished and got dressed okay, but upon getting in bed, something felt off. I guessed it was having Spencer voluntarily not tuck me in for the first time in, well, forever. I brushed it off and snuggled into the covers, drifting off quickly.

I opened my eyes to feel arms around me. I figured it was Spencer, so I just snuggled in.

"Morning sweetheart." I heard him say. Him. Not Spencer. Douglas Shendleman.

"No fucking way." I thought. I tried to just slip away, but he had an iron grip on me.

"Sleep well?" He asked.

"Get the fuck off me you creepy bastard!" I yelled and squirmed enough to get away from him.

"You want to be like this today, huh?" He asked. "We can do that. Good luck getting out of our room without this though, baby girl." He held up a key and I turned to see the door was locked from the inside.