Chapter 30

A few months had passed. It was July now, Spencer and I were continuing on through our daily schedules. I was in the end of my second trimester, and showing it. I had recently gone in for a sonogram, where Dr. Lee had given Spencer the gender. At the beginning of the pregnancy, he made me promise to let him throw me a gender reveal party, and I agreed as long as he let me give the news to his team, which he did. The party was in 4 hours, taking place in our back yard.

Apparently, Spencer had concocted some type of science-y thing where we would all drop a flavor tablet into sparkling water and it was either going to turn the water pink or blue. I tried to call it food coloring but was hastily corrected by "acidic coding," or something of the sort.

Garcia came bouncing into the bedroom as I sat at the dresser, putting on makeup.

"Ah, your preggo glow gets better every day!" She squealed. I chuckled at her.

"Thanks?" I laughed.

"Are you excited?!" She asked loudly. "Because I am ecstatic!"

"Are you sure you're not the one having a kid?" I joked. She gave me a look and waved her hand at me. "Yes, I'm so excited. I can't wait to figure it out." Garcia grabbed my curling wand and began putting loose curls into the ends of my hair. I shrugged it off, letting her go for it. The less energy I had to spend on myself, the better.

She finished in a quick 20 minutes, automatically busying herself with finding an outfit. Garcia searched through my maternity clothing, finding a white tank top and blue shorts that she loved.

"This!" She thrusted the clothes at me and I took them, rolling my eyes and changing into the outfit. I looked at myself in the mirror, wincing at my bulging tummy.

"You know, everyone says that pregnant women have a glowing beauty or whatever, but this tummy..." I trailed off and she whacked my shoulder.

"You look amazing!" She huffed. I rolled my eyes again and she tugged me downstairs where the team was standing around the island, pouring the sparkling water into champagne flutes and getting little props ready. I walked up to Spencer and he covered my eyes.

"No peeking!" He shrieked. I laughed at his distress.

"I didn't see anything darling, don't go blowing a gasket on me." He kept my eyes covered and let me outside.

"You stay here until we put the finishing touches on things. Play with Cooper," he ordered. I nodded and he kissed me on the cheek.

I sat on the porch and tossed the ball for Coop, waiting on Spencer and the team to finish up their project. I looked around and the decorations; there were white and purple streamers and balloons strung across the yard from the trees to the fences and the house. The excitement began to eat at me and I got jittery, to the point where I had to force myself to stay put and not take peeks at the team inside the house. After about 15 minutes, Spencer and the team came outside, carrying the little champagne flutes. Garcia handed me mine and grinned.

"Excited?" She asked. I nodded eagerly.

"I can't wait."

We stood in a circle, holding our little white tablets. Spencer stood beside me and smiled at me. I smiled back and took a deep breath.

"On your count," he said quietly. I nodded.

"On three. One... Two... Three!" We all dropped the tablets in the water and I shut my eyes for a second. I opened them and looked down, seeing a blue glass of sparkling water.

I stood, shocked for a second. The blue water before me that all my best friends were holding gave me such a sense of happiness that I began sobbing uncontrollably. And it wasn't cute little sobs, I was full on ugly crying over the fact that I was going to have a little boy.