Chapter 17

The months passed. Spencer and I were happy, and everything was going good. I threw a surprise party for his birthday with the team in October and we had a blast. I had been promoted to head surgeon in the trauma unit after taking over on an emergency triple bypass surgery when Jane had failed to complete her responsibilities during the process. The girls had taken me out for a celebration, and I even met a few friends outside the team. Their names were Brooke Alcotta, Luke Mantor, Genevieve Trestle and one other. This one was basically my brother. His name was James Birkensten. He had been at my house every night this week, seeing as Spencer was working on a case here in Quantico and the whole team was working themselves into the floor. Spencer didn't have time to mess around, and I totally understood. I heard a knock on the door.

"Hey Mads! Open up!" I heard James outside. I opened the door and gave him a smile.

"What's up J-man?" He rolled his eyes.

"I hate that nickname." He shoved me. "You're awful."

"Fight me Jamie." I laughed and he landed a half-assed hit on my shoulder. I pretended to be hurt and we laughed.

"Is your boy still working?" He asked. I nodded, chopping vegetables to make stew. "That totally sucks. Have you seen him at all this week?"

"Nope." I felt a small wrench of sadness in my chest but told myself to get over it. "His job is important though, the guy they're looking for is ruthless. He hasn't called all day, so I'm guessing they're onto something." James nodded. "Hey will you close that window?" The cold November air was making it's way into the apartment, and I was getting cold. He closed it and returned to the island.

"So when do you go back to work?" James asked.

"Today's Saturday..." I thought out loud for a minute. "Monday. I got back Monday. I'm on call right now though. Apparently they want me on days now since I'm head surgeon, so I'll start days this week." He nodded. I finished cooking and we sat on the couch, watching Supernatural together and eating. Once we finished the latest episode, we sat in silence, processing the events that had just taken place on our favorite show. (A/N: SPN spoilers upcoming)

"I can't believe Amara just about killed God." He said, his mouth wide open.

"Dude, what happened to Lucifer?!" I was freaked out. Lucifer was admittedly one of my favorites. "Did she just kill him? And what about Cas? Oh God." By this time I had slid partially off the couch and was totally mind-fucked. I heard a buzzing sound from the kitchen, which indicated I was being called by a co-worker. I ran into the kitchen and picked up.

"Maddie," Veronica sounded out of breath. "We need you ASAP. We've got a male, mid 30s who's got a gunshot wound that caused a punctured lung and it nicked his aorta. He's losing blood fast and his blood pressure is low. Please hurry." I hung up and told James what was going on and grabbed my bag. As soon as James and I left my apartment, my phone rang.

"Hello?" Now was not the time for a phone call.

"Maddie, listen to me." Morgans voice came through the phone. "Reid's been shot, he's on the way to the hospital. Meet us there." I stopped dead in my tracks and hung up.

"What is it?" James asked.

"It's Spencer." I said, making it real. I was in shock and I didn't know how to take it. I felt myself break into a sprint and I couldn't feel anything. "Come on we have to go!" I yelled at him, and he followed close behind me. I could feel the hot tears falling down my cheeks and wiped them frantically. He got in my car with me, not wasting any time. I wasn't sure why he'd come with me, but I didn't care. I sped to the hospital in record time and ran to get into my scrubs. Once I was ready to go, I went to Spencer's room, not taking time to say anything to the team.