Chapter 23

Spencer's POV

It's been 7 days and 18 hours. We were stumped, no one could figure out any clues. My phone buzzed in my pocket.

"Hello?"

"Is this Spencer Reid?" A female voice questioned.

"Yes, who's asking?" I was suspicious.

"My name is Brooke, I'm a friend of Maddie," I perked up. "Listen, my friends and I were with her when she was kidnapped and we got contacted by a hospital in upstate Maine saying they had her."

"What's the name?" I asked. I was eager to find her, I was worried but I felt relieved at the news.

"East Maine ICU," she said, like it was a mantra. "We're in the waiting room now. Doctors said she's been out for 3 days."

"Okay, stay there, my team and I will be there as soon as possible." I hung up.

"What was that?" Emily asked sleepily.

"One of Maddie's friends, apparently they were taken prior to her abduction and were there with her, but they're all out and Maddie's in a hospital in northern Maine." I said quickly. I grabbed my go bag and rounded the team up. We got on the jet and left in 10 minutes flat.

James' POV

I sat in the waiting room with Luke and Brooke. We were all very somber from the loss of Gen. Maddie would take it too hard when she woke up, I didn't know if I could break it to her. Her boyfriend and his team were en route to come get her. I assumed her family would be here as well. A nurse walked out of her room and over to us.

"She's very unresponsive," she began. "Most trauma patients begin showing signs of either life or death after 36 hours, but she's almost vegetative. We've declared a coma, and she's got major brain damage. There's a good standing chance that she'll have memory loss upon waking, but it should go away."

"Thank you." Luke said, and we all nodded as she bustled away.

The next few hours passed with no new updates. The worry was eating me alive from the thought of having to tell her the story of how she and her friends were kidnapped and one of them is dead. I prayed I wouldn't have to do that.

I heard the doors open and turned to see the whole team followed by her family. They took seats in the waiting room while Spencer tried to barter to get in to see her. They said no every time, and he looked close to tears. The black circles and bags around his eyes indicated that he hadn't slept in a few days. He sat down and put his head in his hands.

Spencer's POV

I felt someone rub my back. I turned my head to see it was Garcia, with tears brimming her eyes. She managed a smile. She was a definite blessing in times like these.

"She'll pull through," she said, seeming to be convincing herself more than me. "She always does." I nodded.

We stayed a few more hours before leaving and checking into a hotel. I slept better knowing she was secured and out of harms way.

But the worry slowly crept back in as the days passed. One, unresponsive. Two, same thing. Three, slight signs of systematic failures. Four, small stirring, but still at the edge of life's cliff.

Day five was the miracle. We sat in the waiting room as nurses began pouring into her room. I heard her voice. It was hoarse and sleep coated, but it was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard. The machines were going nuts, and I heard the nurses telling her to settle down.

Maddie's POV

I woke up in a small room, feeling pain all over. What was it from? I had no clue where I was, how I got here or what was wrong with me. I tore out my IV and the machines began bleeping after I removed the heart monitors. Nurses began running in and holding me down, causing more pain. I yelled and swore at them, trying to break free. I gave up after failed attempts and began asking questions.