Chapter 29

JJ and I cleaned the house up, cooked a meal and got me cleaned up. She put me in leggings and a white v neck t shirt. It wasn't sloppy, but it wasn't formal. It was about 5:30 by the time we finished cooking, set the table and finished tidying. Spencer called from the office and said he was on his way home

"Nervous?" JJ nudged me. I nodded.

"I feel like my nerves are eating me alive."

"Don't worry," she chuckled. "When I was telling Will about being pregnant the first time, I thought I was going to throw up on him so I made him sit across the room from me." I laughed, feeling my mood lighten.

"Thank you, JJ," I thanked her once again. "This would have been a mess if you weren't here."

"I'm glad to do it. I can not wait to see his face when you tell him he's going to be a daddy," she smiled. I nodded, not knowing how to respond. She left just as Spencer showed up few minutes later. He walked over to me and kissed me as soon as he came inside.

"Hey," he said. "Did you cook and clean?"

"Yeah," I nodded. I felt for the test tucked in the side of my leggings. "Sit, lets eat." He gave me a weird look before sitting down. I got us two plates and sat by him at the island. We talked about our days, what we did, all that stuff. Eventually when we had finished eating and I had cleaned up, he started asking questions.

"Soo, what's going on?" He asked. "And why was JJ here?" I felt a pit in my stomach. I was scared, and I felt the hesitation set in.

"Come here," I said. I grabbed his hand and led him to the couch with me. We sat down facing each other and I took a deep breath. I was wringing my hands in my lap, putting off what I needed to say.

Spencer put a hand under my chin and lifted my face to look at him. "What's going on?" He looked genuinely concerned at this time, brows knit up and eyes searching mine. I decided I didn't have the words to say it, so I simply reached for the test slowly and held it behind my back.

"Close your eyes," I said. He did as I asked and I took his hand, placing the stick in it and then grabbing ahold of his other hand. "Open."

He opened his eyes and looked down. I had no clue what to expect. Spencer sat there staring at it for a good 30 seconds before he pulled his hand away from mine. He ran his hand down his face and took a deep breath, as if trying to process it. I began to feel uneasy as he shook his head, still staring at it. Eventually, he looked up.

"You- you're really-"

"Yeah," I said. I saw the color drain from his face as he sat at a loss for words. "Say something."

"I don't know what to say," he whispered. I felt my stomach drop. Spencer just sat there looking at me, occasionally glancing back at the test. He slowly set it on the table and stood. "This is wonderful, but I need a little bit to process. I'll be upstairs." He retreated upstairs, leaving me on the couch to think.

I called in sick to work the next day. I didn't want to face my coworkers or be around pregnant women- which happened a fair amount in the emergency room. I wanted to be around people I knew, but I still wanted to stay home. Spencer left silently that morning, still "processing,". I just sat around and thought about things until it was suddenly 6 o'clock and Spencer was strolling into the house.

"Hi," I greeted from the couch.

"Hey," he said with a little smile. "How are you?"