Chapter 20

Song: House of Memories by Panic! At The Disco

I didn't do anything else before leaving Vegas. I had absolutely no clue how to get around the huge city and I didn't need to get lost.

My phone rang, taking me from my thoughts.

"Hello?"

"Hey," Spencer's voice came through the speaker. "How are you doing?"

I made a face at his awkwardness. "Fine," I still felt irritated.

"Are you still upset?" He asked.

"No," I said guiltily.

"'Alright, good." He laughed.

"Quit laughing, jerk." I smiled.

He sighed, "Well, this case shouldn't take too long. We should be back Wednesday. Rossi said he wants to have the party on Friday, is that okay?"

"Sounds good to me," I looked at the clock. "Hey, I need to get going. I fly out of here in an hour."

"Okay. Be careful, do you still have that mace I gave you?" He asked. "It might come in handy for an attractive girl alone in a Vegas airport."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes, "I'll be fine Spence. I'll call you when I'm home."

"Okay. I love you." He sounded sincere, almost like he had something else to say.

"I love you too." I hung up and gathered my things before driving to the airport.

The flight home was a bore. If I could have used that mace, I would've. The airport was packed with weird men that tried just about everything to get my number. One dude even tried a magic trick, but in my personal opinion, Spencer did it better.

I got back to my apartment at 11:30 and all I wanted to do was sleep. I texted Spencer to let him know I was home okay, but my phone rang 3 minutes later.

"What?" I answered, not checking the caller ID. I knew it was Spencer.

"I told you to call," he scolded. "Not text. Anyone could text me off your phone."

"I'm sooo sorry," I mocked. "Can I please go to bed now?"

He sighed, "Yeah. I'll talk to you later."

"Wait," I paused. Something seemed way off with him. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I just want to come home. I feel bad for just leaving you in Vegas." He whined.

"It's okay baby." I said in my most sincere tone, "I understand you've got responsibilities, and I don't blame you. I'll be right here waiting for you. I love you Spencer."

"Thanks Mads. I love you too." I hung up.

Since I was up, I texted my group chat that consisted of me, James, Luke, Brooke and Gen. I told them to come over at 5 the next day so I could tell them about Vegas.

I worked through the next day, uneventful as it was. My mind was on Spencer all day, and I still felt like something was wrong. I called him at noon over my lunch break to check in, and he sounded totally normal, trying everything to convince me that everything was going good and they would be home the next day.