Chapter 35

"Spencer, how many times are you going to remind me?" I asked with my hand on my hip. "I know."

"I'm just making sure you're going to be safe. It's been a while since we've really been separated," he replied with a pouty look. I walked over to him and put my hands on the sides of his face.

"I. Will. Be. Fine," I chanted. He rolled his eyes.

"I just don't want the past to repeat itself..." Spencer trailed off. I stood on my tip toes and kissed his forehead.

"I promise I'll be okay." He nodded and I continued packing. When we had finished the case in Washington, Spencer had refused to let me stay to visit Mel. After weeks of bargaining with him and begging, he decided he'd let me go if I let him pay for my ticket as a birthday present. I was okay with it as long as I got to go. My flight left in the morning, so I was getting all my things gathered last minute. We went to bed so I could make my 6 am flight.

"You'll stay in touch?" He asked when we reached the airport.

"Promise," I said. "You'll be safe at work?"

"Of course." I grinned at him. We were probably being a little over dramatic about this, but I didn't mind. I loved his clingy side.

"Okay, I have to go. I'll let you know when I land. Should be around 10:30 or 11 for you, 7:30-ish for me," I said, shouldering my carry on and standing my suitcase. Spencer gave me a hug and kissed my hair.

"Have a good flight, I'll talk to you later," he said. "Love you."

"Love you too. Bye." I waved and turned, walking way from him and into the airport to check in. After doing so, I boarded and sat through the five hour flight. I sat next to a lady from England who was coming to visit her son that she hadn't seen in 10 years. Her stories made the flight feel like five minutes.

When we landed, Mel was waiting for me with open arms.

"Hi!" She squealed, hugging the life out of me.

"Hey, Mel," I smiled and hugged her back.

We talked for a few minutes before going out to breakfast, then going to her house. She had moved since last time I was here. Mel gave me the grand tour before we sprawled out in the den and watched movies through our closed eyelids.

That was the first few days. Lying around, hanging out, not doing much. Mel surprised me on the fourth day.

"You brought a dress right?" She asked. I nodded.

"I have a dress, heels, jewelry, the whole nine," I replied. "Why?"

"We're going out with a group of my buddies tonight."

"Really?" I was a bit iffy about getting out and around strangers.

"We don't have to go if it's outside your comfort zone," she said. I shook my head.

"It's fine! Why not? It'll be fun," I said, shaking my nerves off.

That night, after I had gotten ready and what not, I decided to call Spencer so I didn't end up drunk dialing him.

"Hello?"

"Hi," I greeted.

"Hey, how's it going?" He asked off the bat.

"Great. We've just been hanging around the house," I answered. "Ohh but guess what we're doing tonight?"

"What?" He inquired.

"We're going out with a group of her friends. I'm excited. It's been a while since I've gone out."

"Out?" He repeated. "Where's out?"