Chapter 24

A few weeks had gone by since I moved in with Jason. They were lovely; I'd go to work after he made me breakfast in the morning, and come home to him making dinner. He'd take care of me when I worked during the weeks, and I would take care of him when he worked a few days from weekends.

I walked in the door. I had just gotten off work and I was exhausted. "Jason!" I called. "I'm home!"

He walked out from the bedroom. "You realize you left your phone here right?"

"Yes," I had no clue why, but he seemed mad. "Why?"

"Who is Spencer?" He asked. "And why have you called him every day? He returned one today. Seemed pretty upset when I told him you were taken."

My stomach dropped. Why did Spencer call back today of all days? It's been months. I could tell Jason was pissed by the way he was walking toward me. He put my phone on the counter and took a deep breath.

"Who is he?!" He yelled. I flinched; Jason never yelled.

"He's my ex fiancé," I started. I held my hands up in defense. "I lived with him in Quantico before I came here. I was only here because I got kidnapped and lost my memory and my mom brought me home with her so I could get better. He's taken care of me a lot, he's a huge part in my life. He was upset when I left, so I said we could stay in touch. I've tried to contact him and he's never said anything back. I won't lie to you, I do miss him."

"So you're cheating on me?" He asked quietly.

"Jason," I scoffed. "I haven't even talked to him in months. Yeah, I still love Spencer, but I'm in a relationship with you now. I wouldn't cheat on you."

"You love him?" He began raising his voice a little.

"No, Jason, you're-"

"Shut up!" He yelled. "I should've known you were just another slut."

I felt tears come to my eyes. "Jason," I reached out to him. "Listen, please-"

I heard a slap, then felt a sting on my face. I held my cheek and stood still. He hit me?

I looked up. Jason still had an angry look in his eyes. He hit me again when I tried to back away, but harder this time. I could taste the metallic blood on the inside of my lip. My head was spinning from crying and his hard hit. Jason put his hands on my shoulders and threw me on the ground before storming out of the apartment. I sat up and stayed there for a minute, trying to process the past few moments. After I gathered myself, I stood up and grabbed my phone. Spencer really had called me.

As I looked at my phone, I realized something. I remembered what I had forgotten. Out of nowhere, when I was explaining Spencer to Jason earlier, I spit out all the details I couldn't have even guessed about yesterday. I smiled to myself, because out of the mess that had just taken place, something good has come forth. I heard a knock on the door.

I swung it open. It was our neighbor one door over. "Hey," I smiled. "What can I do for you?"

"Er," she looked concerned. "I heard yelling and I heard someone slam a door a few minutes ago, and I just wanted to check on you."

"Oh, I'm fine, Annie," I gave her a smile.

"You're bleeding," she reached for my face, but I flinched away. "Did he hit you?" Annie looked mortified.

"No," I lied straight through my teeth to her face. "Of course not, I fell. You know how clumsy I am."

"O-okay, well let me know if you need anything."

I nodded and closed the door. I looked at myself in the mirror hanging in the hall. My cheek was bruising and I had a little blood on my split lip. This would take some makeup to cover for work.