Chapter 38

When I got to the house, Mel was waiting for me with Mike. I hugged her as best I could and sat down with Spencer on the loveseat while they sat on the couch. We all chatted for a while, catching up. After a little while, the conversation died down. We were silent for a few minutes before I spoke up.

"I'm tired," I said. "I'll be up in my room if you need me." Mike and Mel nodded at me, Spencer followed me upstairs. I sat on my old bed and looked at him.

"What?" He asked.

I shrugged, "Nothing. Just looking."

"Are you okay?" Another question.

"Are you okay?" I repeated it back to him. He laughed and gave me a weird look.

"I'm not the one whose mother is in the hospital right now," Spencer scoffed. "Shouldn't I be asking you how you are?"

"You just look tired, baby," I patted the bed next to me. He sat down and I put my head on his shoulder and grabbed his hand. "Thank you."

"For?"

"For being here, for being the absolute best husband out there. I appreciate all you're doing for me here."

"It's not a problem," he brought my hand to his lips and kissed it.

We fell asleep together shortly after. I woke up a lot during the night, feeling the babies kick or just not being able to sleep. Finally, when I woke up for the fifth time at 3, I got out of bed carefully and walked downstairs. I sat outside on the deck, breathing in the fair temperature air. I looked at the stars. I remembered always stargazing with my parents when I was little because the Kansas sky was like a bottle of spilled glitter on a black cloth.

I felt my eyelids get heavier after watching the sky for a little while. I got up and went inside, quietly making my way back upstairs to my room. I slid into bed as quietly as possible, but Spencer rolled over and looked at me.

"What are you doing?" He asked sleepily. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, baby. I'm fine," I leaned over and kissed him on his temple. "Just restless. I'm tired now though. Go back to sleep."

He nodded as I got comfy on my back. Spencer put an arm over my stomach and laid his head on my shoulder, snuggling into me. He absentmindedly rubbed my stomach till we both fell asleep.

I woke to hear Spencer talking on the phone in the hallway.

"She's asleep, can I take a message?...really? Awesome...thank you, I'll let her know." I sat up and criss-crossed my legs, yawned and stretched. It was cloudy and rainy outside, judging from my window. Spencer crept in until he saw I was awake. He walked over and sat next to me.

"Who was that?" I inquired.

"The doctors at the hospital," Spencer replied. "Your mom woke up, they said she can take visitors after noon today."

I felt a wave of relief crash over me and tears formed in my eyes. "Oh good, that's good." I tried to keep myself from crying, but I was so emotional from pregnancy hormones and I was overwhelmed with gratefulness.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Spencer sat directly in front of me, criss-cross as well. He grabbed my hands and I looked at him.

"Nothing's wrong, I'm just relieved and emotional," I laughed despite my current messy state. "I need to shower. I probably look like I crawled out of a dumpster."

Spencer lightly slapped the back of my hand. "Don't talk about yourself like that."

I rolled my eyes and got out of the bed. I headed for the shower after grabbing some clothes.