Chapter 21

Song: This is the First Thing by You Me At Six (I couldn't find anything spot-on accurate for this chapter, oh well.)

Spencer's POV

I watched Maddie stalk toward the elevator as JJ popped through the bullpen doors.

"Did you guys hear any of that?" I asked.

She nodded. "These doors aren't too soundproof, Spence." She put her hand on my shoulder. "Are you okay?"

I took a deep breath. "Yeah, I just wish she understood that we know what we're doing."

"I understand," she said. "But you've got to understand she's probably never been stalked before, she's freaked out." I nodded. "Let's get back to work."

We returned to the bullpen and I looked out the window, watching Maddie drive away. She was going the opposite direction of home, and I wondered where she was going.

"Reid." Hotch spoke.

I turned around, looking back at the team, "Yes sir?"

"Did you catch any of that?" He asked.

I shook my head and looked down. "No, sorry."

Hotch repeated himself. "There might be a partnership here," he pulled the photos out. "See here, there's different angles, but you two are in the exact same position. There's a person over in the corner with a camera around his neck." He pointed at the different pictures. I nodded, pinning the pictures up on a bulletin board and writing notes underneath them.

Maddie's POV

I ran for a good thirty minutes, but stayed at the park for two hours. No one else was there, and I was enjoying the alone time. The music flooding through my earbuds relaxed me and took my mind off everything. After a while, I figured I needed to go home before I caught a cold.

I returned to the apartment complex and went upstairs. As I arrived at my door, I found a black box with the same red wax seal. I took a shaky breath before carrying it in and locking the door behind me this time. I picked up some box cutters and sat at the island.

I cut through the wax and opened the box. There was a letter on top of a clothing article. Before reading the letter, I pulled the article of clothing out of the box. It was a sweater I never wore, but kept on my coat rack in case. The sick feeling returned, and I put it down, leaning over onto the counter.

I couldn't handle this. How had anyone gotten into my apartment without someone noticing or without leaving evidence? I did everything in my power  not to just start crying; I knew that was showing weakness.

I opened the letter. There were more pictures. They were just of me this time- some of me walking into the FBI building, some of me running, some of me sitting on a bench in the park.

These were literally taken 45 minutes ago.

I decided to read the letter.

Madison and Spencer,

I'll bet you're wondering- how did this psycho get into my apartment? Well, easy. See, your locks are easy to break. You're not very observant. I've been planning this whole thing out for a while, and all it took was one broken lock and an oblivious victim. Maybe, be more cautious from here on out.

I see you chose to investigate. Hopefully your friends will figure this out soon; you don't have much time left. Be on your toes, I'd suggest trying to pull your hounds off the case.

Watch your back.

I let the tears fall this time. Someone had been in my apartment, maybe more than once, and I had never noticed.