"I don't know. I don't think I'm doing anything."

"You are now. Meet me out front after class." He walked away before I could respond, a smile playing on his lips.

"I thought you liked Isaac." Lydia muttered as I laughed to myself, not fully sure of what had just happened.

"It's not a date."

"I didn't say it was."

"We're going to be late."

She rolled her eyes before following me down the hall, linking her arm with mine. "Alright, alright."

Sophie's POV

"What're we going to do about the twins?" Isaac hissed as he sat down at our table.

"I don't know yet." Scott picked at his lunch, shaking his head.

"They're planning something."

"I know."

"We have to do something."

"I know." Scott repeated, this time with an annoyed tone.

"This is why we need to be a pack." Erica put in, sitting next to Isaac. "We could fight so much better, we could be stronger, faster."

"I don't know if I'm going to join the pack yet."

"You need us. Don't you want to be able to fight back?"

"Look, right now isn't the time to be discussing this." I pointed out as her voice started to get louder, attracting attention.

"Fine. After school. You can meet with Derek and join the pack." She stood up, Isaac following after her as they walked out of the room.

"You don't have to, you know." I reminded him, reaching down to grab his hand.

"They're right though. Maybe we could actually get the Alphas to listen to us if we're stronger."

"I-"

"Sophie, do you think I could talk to you for a minute?" Matt interrupted, stopping by our table.

"What about?"

"Just some things."  

I looked over at Scott, who was only glaring at Matt. His eyes flickered to mine as I squeezed his hand.

"Sure." I stood up, following him out into the hall. "What did you need to talk about?"

"I just wanted to say that I'm sorry."

I paused, looking up at him with a confused look. "What?"

"I'm sorry if I acted creepy or weird. I don't want you to think I'm some lunatic."

"Um, it's ok. We all have our bad days." I faked a smile, not truly believing him.

"Thanks for understanding. I would just feel bad if I scared you or something."

"You didn't. Don't worry. Was that all you needed?"

"Yeah, I guess so. Friends?" He smiled, holding out his hand.

I nodded, shaking his hand. "Friends."

"Great. I'll see you around." He lifted his hand in a wave before walking back into the lunch room.

I turned, about to return to the table when I heard a squeal. I winced as I glanced around, searching for the noise. It echoed down the halls again, almost sounding like nails scraping against the lockers.

I pulled out the dagger tucked into my boot as I slowly walked toward the noise. I stopped as I saw a note on the floor. I crouched down to pick it up, unfolding it.

"We're here."

"Sophia." a voice whispered, making me jump and drop the note.

I looked up to see a tall shadowed figure at the end of the hall. It disappeared before I felt breath on the back of my neck.

I closed my eyes, my own breath shaking.

"You're not running this time. Have you gotten tired of running? Of being afraid?"

I gasped as I felt claws press against my neck. "I'm not afraid."

The claws began to tap against my throat, applying pressure whenever they pressed down.

"Your heartbeat jumped."

I raised the knife, spinning around. There was no one behind me, the hallway completely empty now.

"Run."

I quickly obeyed, racing for the doors. Just as my hand reached for the handle, he appeared in front of the door, his face still hidden. All I could see were his bright purple eyes.

"Boo."

I skidded back, closing my eyes for a second to blink. When I opened them, he was gone.

I felt two hands grip my arms, their grip much more gentle than the man's had been. I turned around, my knife lifting again.

"Soph! Sophie, it's just me." Scott quickly grabbed my wrist, stopping my hand before I could get the weapon any closer than it already was.

I let out a deep breath, slowly lowering my hand. "I'm sorry."

He stood still for a moment, staring into my eyes. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Soph."

"We should, we should get back to lunch."

 I leaned down to tuck my knife back into its place before forcing a smile at Scott. "Coming?"

He took my extended hand, letting me lead him back to our table. "You'll tell me what's wrong later, right?"

"Nothing's wrong, Scott. I just thought I saw something."

He gave me a look before nodding, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. "We'll talk later."

Author's Note:

Finally a longer chapter!

So do you think Matt's telling the truth? What do you think about Aiden and Laila? And who do you think the man with purple eyes is?

I'll see you gummies and nerds in my next chapter. BYEEEE!!