Kings of the World 🎆

Start from the beginning

He spreads the comforter out on top of the smoother, levelled rocks. I just watch, too awestruck and too distracted to realise I should be helping.

"Mitchy? It's prettier up here. You can see the ocean." He calls, pulling me back to reality. I walk over to the blanket and he gets up, pulling a big, white item out of the basket.

A tent.

"Scott-"

"No, I know how to put one together, and we're gonna chill tonight." He convinces. Surprisingly, he holds to his word and has the tent up in 6 minutes.

"Boy Scouts paid off, didn't it?" I tease, as he pulls the oversized blanked in the tent and pulls it up to the ledge.

"It did." He looks at me. I return the fond stare briefly, before getting uncomfortable and laughing it off, pulling his hand.

"C'mon, let's sit on the edge before we get all comfy."

The ledge was very much like a cliff. There was a few step-like rocks that you could rest your feet on once you sat down, and it's downhill from there.

He wraps his arms around me and pulls me into his chest. I relax my body and let myself mold into his side.

"This is literally the best way I could ring in the New Year, Scott. Thanks for always pushing me to do things." I confess.

"You're welcome." He simply replies.

•~•

We sit in silence for a while.

"You wanna sing something?"

I look up at him. Those pretty blue eyes look even more beautiful in comparison to the sea. "I don't know, have anything in mind?"

He smiles.

" Kings of the world
On top of the nation
It's a celebration of the moments to come..."

I roll my eyes.

"Join meeee." He shakes my body a bit, making me laugh.

"This is so cliche." I won't admit that I love it.

"The city's on fire
We're holding up lighters
Raising them higher and we've only begun."

"You have a pretty voice." He kisses the top of my head, then suddenly I feel cold.

"Where're you going?" I turn around to see him pulling out...two white pillows?

No.

Two lanterns. Two fucking floating lanterns.

"You read my diary." I state in shock.

To release floating lanterns on New Years. One of my bucket list items...

"I asked your mother." He replies  smiling, lighting the lanterns and beckoning me to stand up.

"Scott..." I was close to tears and I move to stand in front of him, "No one had ever done anything this thoughtful, no one has cared enough to."

"Well, I do, Mitchy. I will literally always care for you, and even though I doubt your statement is true, you deserve to be treated like the queen you are." I see him hand me a lantern through my tears, and I take it.

"This means everything." I smile. He checks the time.

"It's 11:56. You want to release them now or after?"

"On. On 12. Is that okay?"

"This is for you, of course it's okay." He chuckles.

11:57.