Letting Go

-Candace-

Mrs. Young we've reviewed your case and have made a decision. Would you like to have any words before we deliver our decision? At this point I had nothing to lose, I'd lost everything that meant anything to me. All I could think about was my children. Mrs. Young!

Yes, I just want to say that I am sincerely sorry for what I've done. I know that no mother should ever get to a point where they would consider selling their child. I love my children to death I said looking at the board. I looked back at Candace and Ava and they gave me a reassuring smile.

Candace Young we are here by denying your request for parole you will serve out the rest of your 17 year sentence the judge said dismissing his gavel. I just stood there looking at the court room wall crying. I really did it this time. Come on the guard said cuffing me again. Wait can we talk to her Helen said stopping the guard. No visitation hours have already passed. Please we just wanna speak to her for a few minutes Ava said. We won't tell anyone Helen said to the female guard. Fine 5 minutes while I load the other prisoners on the truck. Thank you they said following us out to the truck.

Candace don't....stop Helen I can't keep letting you baby me I did this shit to myself and now I gotta do the time. Noelle will be okay with us don't worry and when the time comes I'll talk to her and explain the things that happened. Thank you! Ava can you do me a favor? Anything. Andre Jr. uh Candace. I know but I want you to do it because Helen has a lot with Noelle, can you just make sure from time to time that he is okay. I can do that for you Candace. Thanks! We're still gonna come visit you girl we aren't giving up on you they said hugging me. My baby girl Helen please let her know I love her so much. I will don't worry.

It's time to go the guard said. I love yall! We love you too. Wait Helen said! She's his! Well I guess when I get out I owe him a 150 dollars I said getting on the bus.

-Helen-

Ava and I chuckled when she said she owed him a 150 dollars when she got out. We watched as she got on to the bus and she looked at us. Never did I imagine I'd have to see my baby sister on a prison bus but that's her reality.

I don't know about going to see him Helen. I know Ava the last time I saw him I don't know if he was trying to run game or if he was really that withdrawn. I mean he started quoting Maya Angelou to me. Really! Yes he asked me if I knew why the caged bird sings. Did you talk with his counselor? Naw that freaked me out more so the way he said it like he wasn't in his right mind. So what are you gonna tell Noelle when she asks about Candace in the future? I don't know I said shaking my head. You wanna go with me to get her from school? Sure!

We pulled up to her school and she was waiting for me talking to another little girl. Who is that Ava said? Oh that's Morgan. No I am talking about the little girls eyeing Noelle over there she said pointing to this group of little girls staring at her. I don't know I said looking at them watch Noelle and her friend Morgan. All of sudden I saw her pick up a big rock. Did she just... yeah she did Ava said. As soon as she was gonna throw the rock at Morgan and Noelle I honked the horn and got everyone's attention. The girl dropped the rock like she didn't have it. The Hell I said looking at Ava. Hel...Helen nothing I am about to whoop her little well scratch that her big ass about to throw that rock at my baby.

Hey Mama Noelle said walking up to me. Hey baby girl go get in the car. Okay mama she said running off to the car. Principal Scott! Oh hey Ms. Watkins how can I help you. I just witnessed those girls over there about to throw a very large rock at my daughter and her friend. Oh No are you sure? Yes my friend and I watched them pick up the rock and then when they were about to throw it I honked the horn and they dropped it. I am going over there right now and talk some sense into them. Let me I said smiling at her. Ms. Watkins, Brenda you don't have to be so formal. Let me handle this I said looking at the girls. Just don't threaten bodily harm to them she said laughing. Can't promise that I said walking towards them.