Close my Eyes

~Noelle~

The last time I saw my mother was 6 months ago and in that time we've been moved around to three different families. The first family wasn't bad but the mom smoked constantly and it upset my asthma so they had to move us after I had an asthma attack and they had to rush me to the hospital. The second home was what it was a white family they were cool but they felt like they couldn't keep Andre cause they feared for their oldest daughters safety. Andre wouldn't hurt a fly and he don't say much to anybody but me. The third home we only stayed two nights before the fleas about tore us up. Nasty people had 5 dogs and 6 cats in a two bedroom apartment. They finally placed us here with the Jackson family, which consisted of at least 5 other kids in a 4 bedroom house on the outskirts of College park. Just barely suitable for them to foster kids I guess. They are a different story altogether they seem to have it together but who really knows with these families.

When am I gonna see my mommy again? Why are you worried about her she tried to sell you for a hundred dollars and a crack pipe the Mrs. Jackson said to me as she threw food into a pot on the stove? No she didn't she loves me I said. Yeah right she loves you she was gonna let that man rape you. No she wasn't I said running into the living room where Andre was with the other boys. Andre I said shaking his arm. What damn Noelle why you being so whiny and clingy. I am not whiny I said pouting. Yeah you are now go on somewhere he said swatting me away.

Yall come on now and eat! I quietly walked and sat at the table. Here she said glopping down something that looked like throw up in the bowl. I was watched as all the other kids ate it like it was the best thing in the world. Mrs. Jackson where is my brother, I said noticing he wasn't at the table. He's out now eat and don't worry about him. I slowly picked up the spoon and started eating the nasty food and mentally gagging at every bite I took. Luckily she gave us bread tonight otherwise I wouldn't have been able to keep that food down at all.

Later that night after we'd had a bath or what she refers to as a bath. Its more of her putting all the girls in the shower together to conserve on water. I was laying in the bunk bed staring out of the window at the moon praying that my mommy would come and get me when the door to the room opened I could see the hallway. Noe! Andre I said sitting up a little. Yeah come on he said extending his hand to me. I quietly slipped out of bed and grabbed his hand as we went out of the room and back into the kitchen. Shh he said smiling as he got the peanut butter and jelly out the fridge and then got the bread out for us. He made us a sandwich and we sat there eating them quietly.

Dre is mommy coming back I am tired of going from home to home? I don't know Noe, no one will tell me if she is. I tried to go and see her but they wouldn't let me in the jail. What about daddy? Noe we haven't seen him what 4 years I doubt he's coming back. I don't like this Dre we've been moved 3 times and every home the ladies get meaner and the food gets nastier. I know but you just gotta be tough okay, don't whine, and keep your mouth shut and your head down okay. I am getting a little bit of money here and there so I'll start bringing you something else to eat at night. Okay Dre I said sighing a little.

Here I got this for you he said handing me a little box. What's this I said looking at it? Happy Birthday Noe he said smiling at me. I smiled at him, my birthday was two months ago and no one thought to celebrate it. Well no one but Andre and I knew it was my birthday, it was the day we left the flea family. I opened the box it was a little gold necklace with a heart on it. Thanks Dre I said hugging him. Love you Noe! Love you too Dre! Hopefully this will be the last home for us he said. I know we've been through a lot in the last 4 to 6 months. You done? Yeah I said handing him the paper towel. Alright little bit go back to bed. Night Dre I said getting up and tip toeing back in to the room. I got back into my bunk said a little prayer before falling asleep.