Forgiveness

-Helen-

Here's the mail mama Tionne said handing me the mail. Thanks baby I said taking the mail from her. I flipped through the mail bills, more bills, junk mail, when something caught my eye. A letter from the Fulton country prison. Fulton County jail I thought to myself sitting the rest of the mail down on the table. I immediately opened the letter it was from my baby sister Candace.

Helen,

I know it's been years since we've spoken and I know that is my fault but I am writing because I need your help. Andre left some time ago and it's been real hard to look after the kids. I've gotten myself in trouble and now my kids are in foster care. I can understand if you are still upset with me for everything that went down in the past but please don't let that affect this. Please Helen if you have any love left for me you'll help me make sure my kids are okay. I've lost track of Andre Jr., but Noelle has recently been moved. I am sorry for everything that happened in the past, please find Noelle and take her in. I'll sign over my rights so you can raise her and you don't have to worry about Andre because his name was never on her birth certificate. Please Helen!

Candace

I folded up the letter looking at it before going over to the phone. I dialed the phone number and listened to the phone ring. Hello Ava! Helen! Yeah its me. Long time no hear. I know I got a...you got a letter from Candace didn't you? Yeah I did, how'd you know? I got one as well last week. She said she was in some type of trouble and needed my help. Are you free tomorrow during the day to go and see what's up? Yes I am. Good we should go and see what it is that's she's done now. I don't know what happened Helen she wasn't always like this. I know she wasn't. I am worried though cause she was talking about Andre being gone. He was gone 4 years ago Helen. I don't know why she stayed away after that. I'll see you tomorrow Ava. What time? How about 2 its before I go into work for the evening. That works for me, see you then.

Who you gon see tomorrow ma! Boy what I tell you about eaves dropping on peoples conversations. You told me to only do it when you need information on Tionne. Mama! Girl bye, this my house if I need the information I'll get it how I see fit. Let me catch you listening to my conversation and it's on in your world she said slapping Kayo upside the head. Hey...Mama! I shook my head and went to my room. I pulled out the old photo album and looked at the pictures of us when we were girls. Candace was my responsibility but somewhere down the line I failed her. She got caught into drugs and the wrong people and before I knew it my sweet baby sister was a foul mouth druggie hitting the pipe in my living room in front of my child. Tionne doesn't remember that because I tried my best to scrub that memory out of her mind. But it was the last straw for me I wasn't gonna let her disrespect me or herself so I threw her out. She left Georgia for a while and went out to California before moving back to Georgia. I kept tabs on her, I knew when she was pregnant with Andre Jr and Noelle, I just wasn't around for her. I am sorry Candace I couldn't take care of you the way I was supposed to I said tracing over her picture.

The next day Ava and I went up to the Fulton county prison to see Candace it's been about 7 years since I've last heard from her and about 10 since I'd physically seen her. We had our falling out over you guessed it Andre. I knew the first time she brought him he was no good. But no she said I was being too hard on him and judgmental. Who are you here for the guard said? Uh I believe she's going by Young. Candace Young! You related to her? Yeah I am her sister and this is her best friend. The guard looked us over before pushing the buzzer and handing us the visitors passes.

How long has it been since you've seen her Ava? About 5 years she brought the kids to Ro's birthday party and I knew she was on something then. I saw her 2 years after that when she asked to borrow my car. Borrow your car? She wanted to do something for Noelle's birthday. So I drove them down to Savannah to the beach. How were they then? The kids looked okay but she had bruises on her arms like she had been using big time. I tried to talk to her and get her to realize that she needed to come home. You know so yall could put all that mess in the past. She wasn't trying to hear it, said you wouldn't want her in your home. Was Andre with her? Nope he wasn't. I heard he moved back out to California chasing a dream of being a rapper. Figures, I knew that boy was going to get her...into trouble she said walking up to the table.