Chapter 29

Chapter 29

    Me and Pippin rushed out of the old pub-like building and ran around towards a bunch of stables-where Gandalf’s voice was calling from. When we arrived, Gandalf was already hoisted on Shadowfax and he had a very serious expression.

    “Get on a horse Vina, and quickly,” Gandalf ordered me. I nodded my head, knowing full well that something was wrong. I looked around for Hasufel but she was being bathed and in no condition to be rode yet. I looked at the stableman and he panicky took a horse from the stable close to him and handed me the reins. I swung my body on top of him and when my bottom touched the saddle, Gandalf and Pippin, followed by me, rode off towards the gates of Gondor.

   I could feel the hooves of many horses, vibrating through the Gondorian horse as I rode him towards the gate, following Gandalf and Pippin in front of me. I had thrown my hood up before riding out of the stable and I kept my head down so the wind would not push it up. We reached the gates and the men had opened them up for us. We shot through them and saw that there were many men on horseback, running from the city of Osgiliath. Nazgul were flying above them, picking them up and dropping them to their frightful death. Gandalf rode Shadow fax harder and I pressed on to pick up speed.

   Soon, Gandalf raised his staff and a bright light emitted from it, blinding light shun out and was too bright, too beautiful for the Nazgul to bare. They began to fly away and I looked behind at the fallen. I was hoping to see some sort of life, and gratefully, someone began to stumble up, trying to stand. My instincts kicked in, my eyes narrowed and I jolted my horse further and faster. I rode past Gandalf who double-looked at me and kept my eye on the man who was hurt. I rode straight through the centre of the retreating men who all moved easily out of my way. They all looked confused and shocked but I rode past them without a second guess.

    “V!!” I heard Gandalf shout but I pushed on harder and when I was only a few feet away from him, I slowed down and whistled so he knew I was there. He looked a little worried but I dismounted the horse and ran over to him, guiding the horse with me. He looked from me, to the horse, then behind me and the men and then back at me. He broke a smile of thanks but I hurried him up onto the back on the horse and mounted not long after him. I kicked the horse into a hard gallop and I watched as the men just about reached the gates. I had about another mile to go and the man’s body began to droop. I held him and his chest to keep him from slipping of the horse.

    “Stay with me,” I whispered to him from behind his ear where his helmet did not quite cover. The man’s body shook and quivered but I kept my grip on him. I kept my mind on him and getting to the gate because then I would know I was safe.

    Thankfully, they hadn’t closed the gates on us and I managed to slide through them just as they began to shut. I took a deep breath in and out, reassuring myself that we were now in the keep, safe. I rode round the men who all were watching me as I got to where I guess a load of healers were waiting. I dismounted and I called a few of them to me. They nodded and helped me carry down the injured man who it now was apparent had a broken leg and an arrow in his shoulder. They placed him on a stretcher and took him up the stairs before they disappeared behind the walls. I stayed watching him until I tended back to the horse. I had to admit, he wasn’t as good as Hasufel but he was incredibly fast and strong. I rubbed his nose and he placed his nose on my shoulder.