Chapter Three: A War Rising

Evan POV

"He's never late. Oh Zachery where are you." My mom whined as she paced around my study.

"I'm sure he's fine. Stop worrying, think about something else."

"Like the fact you're almost 25 and don't have a wife, mate or successor?"

I groaned. "You're right, somethings wrong with Zach. Continue your pacing."

"That's not funny Evander! Your beta, your brother is missing."

"I'm sure he's fine, he's just late. Relax mom."

"How can I relax when one son is missing and the other hasn't even got a girlfriend?"

I rolled my eyes. "Will you drop it already? I know."

"Then go out there and look for a nice girl to get pregnant."

She said it like it was such a normal and casual thing to do. I actually laughed. "I can't just go out and stop a girl in the street and ask if I can make her pregnant so my pack has an heir."

"You can start dating, she doesn't have to be pregnant now. Just in the next few years."

"I know most of the girls in this town mom, none of them are suitable."

"There's been quite a few new families moving in and new people in town, how will you know if you're stuck in here all the time?"

"Yes, I'm stuck in here doing paperwork all day because I enjoy it." I said sarcastically. "Really mother."

"Then we will bring the girls here."

"No."

"I'll look at all the girls in town and anyone that's suitable can come here for a gathering."

"And how would you explain that?"

"It's coming up to the anniversary of your father's death. I've been speaking to some of the ladies and I think it would be a good idea to celebrate."

"His death?"

"His life. Or we can wait till your birthday."

"Fine. Have your party but you invite the families too. I don't want anyone knowing your real motives."

"You must take it seriously."

"I will mom."

"I mean it Evander!"

"Mom." I said standing up and taking her hands in mine. "I will go to your party and I will try to find someone."

"Promise me?"

"I'll speak to every girl you invite. I promise."

"You'll choose one?"

"I'll keep an open mind. If you stop inviting girls over and trying to set me up."

"I just want you to settle down."

"I know mom. I do too but I can't stop running a pack to go out dating... I'll find her one day." I knew she meant well but I couldn't stand all the surprises anymore. I'd go out for lunch with my mom to find she'd invited a friend and her daughter. Then I had to sit there and be as polite as I could even if I felt awkward or didn't like the girl. Most of the time I was able to make excuses and get out of it but occasionally she would get Zach on whatever needed doing so I was free. She's clever, annoying, but clever.

"Oh Zachary!" she said relieved as he came in. His chest was rising ad falling rapidly from running.

"Where've you been?" I asked agitated at his lateness which got me caught up in a conversation about my relationship status. Now I was stuck having to go to a party with my mother looking over my shoulder waiting for me to choose a girl.