Chapter Sixty Four: Alpha Pair

Evan POV

Everyone was walking around on eggshells. It was one thing to have an Alpha come to your territory, but another to have two. And that's what they all realised when Rylee dominated one of their best warriors. She was an Alpha living under a Luna's title and mates bond. I knew I had an Alpha female, but the world was yet to discover it.

It was going to be said that she was stronger or more dominant than me but I didn't care. All I could feel was pride as I was stood there, in the crowd watching her manhandle someone twice her size. Most Alpha's would see it as embarrassing to be on equal terms with their Lunas. They loved them, there was no doubting that but, Alpha's pride was something fickle, typically we HAD to be the strongest and most dominant wolf in the room, even over our mates.

She was strong, independent and outright dominant but she was fair. She gave the warrior the chance to live when his own Alpha had admitted he would've slaughtered him. In that moment I knew she could still be our voice of reason, strategically. She knew when to fight and when to show mercy. It would inspire our pack.

Watching Nate greet her publicly with the official Alpha's greeting would spread word. Most would assume rumours until they saw otherwise, it was unheard of to have such a dominant Luna. It showed his respect and she accepted, returning the same. It was natural to her whether she knew it or not.

"Crewes Pack warriors." He said looking round the crowd which was still completely in shock. "Our visitors are from the Calderwood Pack. I hope you're welcoming to them. And stay out their way, you don't want to get into a fight with two Alphas. They have my permission to punish disrespect as they see fit..." There was horrified looks, shock and whispers as they speculated. Most eyes flicking between Rylee and Me.

She nodded her head. "Thank you. Now, I think we have some things to discuss." She said coolly and walked in my direction as Nate gestured for her to go first.

I put my arm around her midsection, resting my hand on her waist as we walked. I could still feel the anger radiating off her.

"You needed that."

She just glanced up to me with a small smirk.

"Ahh, there's more to this story." I could recognise the satisfaction she was feeling. "Old classmates?"

"I wouldn't call us mates. Far from it."

"Do I want to know?"

"After we've left the territory."

"You know I can still have him killed from home?"

"I know. But death would be a relief from the embarrassment he's going to live in now."

"He needed bringing down a few notches." Nate said catching up with us, the smirk evident in his voice. "Couldn't live on his family legacy forever."

"Especially now." I agreed.

It was quiet for a few minutes as we made our way to Nate's office, on the upper floor of his pack house.

"Where's Liza?" Rylee asked as she leaned on the wall next to the window. Watching the outside.

"She's packing. I thought it best to send her to a safer location till we sort this."

"Unless you have a fortress with an undisclosed army no one knows about, I wouldn't. She's safer here, in the heart of your pack." Rylee said, her gaze not moving from the views. "We still don't know their target. If it is her, she will be taken on the journey there."

"She can't just wait around to see if they want to take her."

"Then we find out." I said and looked to Rylee, who's eyes were on me. We were thinking the same.

"Does anyone know she's leaving?" She asked.

"No. It was only just decided."

"I'll go spread the word." Rylee said leaving, her scent hitting my nose as she passed. It was still as intoxicating as ever.

"What's she thinking?"

"Were going to see if they are after Liza. If she spreads the word that Liza is leaving and sends out a decoy to see if they try to attack."

"And if they don't they're not after just Luna's."

We spent an hour or so talking about plans, how we were going to execute the plan and who was going to be the decoy. Rylee was the best choice as she could protect herself the best but she was possibly on their list of people to abduct. I wasn't putting her in the firing line like bait.

Liza was anxious, and I knew because Nate grew fidgety. He sensed her nerves and was mirroring them.

"We won't let anything happen to her. She will stay here, with Rylee."

"Thankyou... I know how hard it is being around people when you're freshly mated, let alone separated outside your territory."

"I trust she can look after herself. The sooner we get this sorted the sooner we can all go back to normal."

"Ha!" We heard muffled through the door before it opened. "Normal my arse. There's no such thing."

"We all set?" I asked fighting the smile.

"She's leaving on Friday." She said pointing to her ear and then the door. I knew what that meant and it made me smile at the memory when she first did it, sneaking into my room because Dean had followed her. "Only a couple of warriors to keep her safe but keep her leaving unnoticed."

"Thankyou Rylee." Nate said. "Are you staying here?"

"Yes. I will do. I want to explore near your southern territory."

"Oh, well, feel free but please be careful. Take some warriors if you must."

"Considering i just manhandled your warriors, I like my chances on my own. I'll head out first thing Friday, would probably be best to be away from the pack when Liza leaves anyway. They're going to blame me for her leaving."

Just as Nate was about to speak and deny it, I shook my head and nodded towards the door stopping him.

"Very well. Probably best none of this leaves this office."

"Agreed." She nodded still watching out the window.

For a moment, I was just watching her, in awe. She held the same sorrow and sense of loss that she had when talking about her father. She was distracted, still doing her job exceptionally well, but, distracted still the same. I knew better than to question her around people, she wouldn't open up. She would fake a smile and just say she was thinking about something irrelevant. Even as her mate, I could sense some emotions, but she was so well trained and guarded that I couldn't always decipher them. It was old memories, that much I knew. She had this glazy haze over her eyes when she was reminiscing or remembering. She had it then.

I was pulled out of my own thoughts by her stomach growling.

"Argh." She rubbed her stomach.

"Still hungry?"

"My breakfast was interrupted. I didn't get to finish."

"I can see if the cooks can whip you something up." Nate said.

"We'll go get something, look around the town. Get away from the madness for a bit." She smiled weakly at me before miming a 'thankyou'.

As soon as we left Nate in his office, I pulled her into a tight embrace. She laughed slightly.

"What's this for?"

"Because I can." I mumbled into her hair.

She didn't protest, she just let her body relax, melting into mine and wrapped her arms around me, holding on tight as if her life depended on it.