Chapter Twenty Seven: Huntress

Rylee POV:

After everyone had gone to go and check the forest, it was more bearable.  The people left behind weren't interested in me or they didn't want to anger the Alpha. Oddly enough, after that little outburst, I found it easier to hold a conversation with him. Probably the gratitude and my mothers words echoing through my head to trust him. He hadn't shown me a reason not to, yet.

Feeling more comfortable with less people around, I started to eat properly. When they did a barbeque, they did it properly. All meats cooked to perfection with the smoky hint in the taste. I definitely approved and could've scarfed more with ease but I didn't like to. So I left my stomach a little more content with the contents I had given it.

Once there was another loud few howls, seeming distressed, we both stood with all the others left behind.

"There's more." I stated.

"B Team, lockdown!" He yelled and they all jumped into action as he looked back to me. "You need to stay here."I opened my mouth to protest but he quickly interrupted me. "I'm not risking you getting mistaken for one of them."

"Okay." I nodded, disappointed, but I understood. I still had the scent of one of them, technically I was one of them. In the battlefield it would be easy to be mistaken for the target and slaughtered.
Defeated, I slumped back down watching him disappear into the trees like everyone else had. I kept my eyes on the darkness, examining every small shape and shadow. Occasionally I would see things move, but after staring at them for a few seconds, I concluded it was my eyes playing tricks on me. After a few minutes Jennifer called me into the house insisting it was too dangerous to be outside. I was taken to the hall with her and all the other non warrior wolves within the house, which included pups.She tried to make small talk and I just indulged her in her questions, but as I tapped my finger on my leg I knew I just wanted to get out there.
For about half hour she was going on, but a few minutes had passed when I was beginning to become tense, some sort of anxiety building. It was like there was something in the back of my mind telling me something wasn't right, my shoulder started to feel almost dead. It wasn't a pain, but it wasn't right. I couldn't explain it. Then there was a howl which sent a cold shiver down my spine.

"Somethings wrong." I said not moving my eyes from the door as I rubbed my shoulder.

"It'll be fine dear." She assured with a weak smile but as she followed my gaze, I could see her smile drop. She was worried too. As the sensation got stronger and travelled across my back my hands turned to fists.

"No, somethings really wrong." I stated and ran to the door.

"Rylee!"

But I ignored her.

My wolf was almost screaming at me to get out there, not to attack, but to defend. I didn't know what I was defending until I got to a clearing which took me a few minutes to run to at full speed in human form. The sight in front of me was one most mutts would be celebrating, the alpha alone, wounded and surrounded. But not me, I wasn't a normal mutt.

Spotting a small opening in the formation of mutts around him I was able to make my way into the middle, now surrounded myself as I found myself fighting every mutt in sight. Pulling each one off the alpha I either threw them back or attacked the neck and spine to immobilise them. When he was finally free, the four mutts either on the floor or backing off.

"Rylee?" He panted.

"I knew something was wrong." I grumbled as I was growling towards the advancing mutt.

"We need to get out of here. Towards the river." He whispered low enough so only I would hear.

"Can you fight?" I asked holding my hand out, offering it to him keeping my eyes on the wolf baring his teeth at us.

"Enough to get away." He took my hand, leaving the tingles going up my arm, and I pulled him up helping him to his feet. A few more wolves started appearing in the clearing, surrounding us like hyenas, their eyes on the prize.

It was quickly obvious that our plan wasn't going to work, and we would have to fight more. "Not ideal odds."He just laughed shortly and sharply before becoming serious again.

"That's one way to put it."

"Suppose you're finally gonna see what I can really do."
The next thing we knew we were both fighting relentlessly, trying to fend them off or kill them. Whichever would be first. At one point I was hit and felt myself go flying. Hitting the floor I used the momentum to roll and turn back to the direction I had come in. He was getting overrun again and as soon as he hit the floor I found myself running and jumped, letting everything inside me explode. The agonising pain felt like nothing with the adrenaline pumping as I turned in moments, landing on paws.
Fighting as a wolf was easier, my reactions and strength was tenfold. In their surprise at my sudden turning, they all stepped back a few paces as I stood over Evan who was still on the floor, holding his shoulder which was gushing with blood.Obviously liking their odds they all attacked again, but It didn't take me long to fend them off and have them all running with injuries, leaving one or two corpses behind. Once it was clear I practically collapsed as the adrenaline started to leave my system. Scanning Evan I knew it wasn't good. The only thing I could think of was to get him back to the pack house, if I called for help and they showed up seeing me covered in blood next to him they would undoubtably attack. Not that they needed a reason.

Managing to get my head under his arm he caught onto what I was doing and held onto me, pulling himself up. Shifting my weight I crouched and nudged him towards my back. Before he could even think about climbing on he was swaying and I managed to lower myself enough to catch him across my back. I stood, making sure he was on securely enough that he wouldn't fall and took off for the house as quickly as I could without dropping him. If the Alpha died on my watch I knew they would all be out for me and i'd have no chance.

I didn't want the Alpha to die.

By the time I made it back, so had most of the others. They had obviously retreated and everyone was being accounted for. Getting everyones attention with a sharp bark, they all went pale at the realisation on what had happened. Jennifer came out the house and kicked them all in line and went straight into Alpha mode, organising people and giving instructions. A couple of warriors quickly got the Alpha and took him inside. I could only watch wondering if he would make it.

"Thank you." She said looking back to me, placing her hand on top of my head for a brief moment before she went inside. Not seconds later some one came out with a change of clothes for me, only shorts and a shirt but it was enough.
I changed and ran inside, hoping to find out what was going on and if we were going to be under attack again. By the time I made it to the kitchen I saw Zach trying to stitch up some of the wounds on Evan. He had him in a sitting position on the chair and his hands were shaking.

"That's not going to heal properly." I stated as I came in, observing the jagged stitches.

"It's the best I got." He grumbled.

"Then get him on the table and give me the needle." I ordered holding my hand out. Without protest he complied.

"Get some blood, whatever his type. He's gonna need a transfusion." I said and Zach ordered people to go get some. I was most of the way through the stitching when he started to stir. His body got defensive and he started turning.

"No! Hold him down!" They tried, but it was useless, he was too strong. All I could do was hold the needle hoping he didn't pull the stitches out. Jumping onto the table I used my knee on his midsection to try and stabilise his body as everyone else had a foot or an arm. He was still fighting and I couldn't get a clear view of the stitches.

"God damn it Evan STOP!" I roared and almost instantly his body stopped fighting, letting me finish.