Chapter Sixty Three: Mercy

Rylee POV

The darkness was ominous, the silence eery. The nature was pretending all was fine. But I knew different.

It had been two days and there was no news. I had healed almost fully and was cleared medically to train again. I was sat eating breakfast with Liza, my eyes glued to the forest surrounding us out the window. I knew they were there, I just couldn't see them.

"Rylee?"

"Hmm?" I looked back to her, she smiled. "Sorry."

"It's okay." She had picked up on a few things about me since we were there. The main one being I didn't know how to socialise. I knew how to work a bar, chat a few people up, get what I wanted but I didn't know how to be, well, I could only describe it as friendly.

She was trying to engage me in friendly chat and gossip, I didn't know how to do that and I didn't really want to. She was a nice girl and I liked her, but I wanted to be with the Alphas in their conversations. Strategy, mutts and war, that was my comfort zone.

"I asked if you and Evan were coming to the party tonight."

"Oh, uhm, yeah I guess but you'd have to check with him."

"Then we could get ready together? I can help you pick something suitable?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah. Thank you." I said grateful realising I didn't know about attire of a Luna, I had to dress and act like a Luna now.

"What's wrong?"

"I just, I don't know what I'm doing. Everything I do affects him now."

"You'll be fine." She smiled. "We've all been there at some point."

I just nodded and someone stood at the end of our table, clearing their throat.

"Excuse me Luna, but, I have unfinished business with this mutt." A deep voice snarled and a hand grabbed my throat lifting me out of my seat. It was a tight grip, enough to hurt and stop my breathing.

I sent a foot into his stomach, making him drop me and I kneed him in the face. As his head came up from the force, I grabbed his throat, digging my nails in enough to making him bleed.

"Don't ever man handle me." I growled. "I'll kill you."

"You couldn't if you tried." He scoffed pushing my arm away and I let him, stepping back.

"Hey! What's going on here?" Nate snarled appearing.

"Your attack dog wants to lose his hand." I said, my eyes narrowing on the man as I recognised him. I laughed throwing my head back into my hands. "Oh my god. It's Teenie!"

He growled and stepped forward to lunge at me, Nate got in the way.

"Bitch has a death wish. Why's she here anyway? We don't take in mutts."

"She's my guest. You will show her respect. She's here to help."

"To hell I will! Bitch has it coming! I challenge you!" He sneered at me.

"Wow, you really speak to your Alpha like that?" I asked crossing my arms.

"No." Nates voice went low enough to even make me tense. He looked round to me, his eyes darkened. "He's yours if you want him."

I shrugged. "Name your terms."

"Anything goes, to the death."

Glancing to Nate, I saw him nod. Permission, he didn't have to tell me twice.

"Fine. But you'll learn to respect your superiors."

"Whatever, get outside."

A large crowd went outside, led by him. I stayed back with Nate and Liza.

"What do you want me to do?" I asked.

"Whatever you want. It's your challenge."

"It's your warrior. Your territory."

"He's lucky I haven't killed him already." He glared in the direction of where everyone was headed and disappeared.

"Uh, Rylee?" Liza touched my arm. "Be careful. He's dangerous."

"I know. Don't worry." I smiled and headed outside.

They formed a large circle, he was stood alone in the middle with Nate.

"Alright, this is to the death. No rules." Nate announced and looked at me. "As an outsider, you have my word that the outcome of this does not affect our packs alliance."

"Thank you." I nodded. "I appreciate that."

"Doesn't even concern you mutt."

"Actually Teenie. It does." I smirked. "See, I'm Evan Calderwood's mate." He froze, his eyes widening. "Yeah. So... When I kill you, my pack will still have a very strong alliance with your Alpha. Who, was merciful enough to let me kill you quickly."

"Let's just go."

For a few minutes I just played with him, dodging his attacks effortlessly. The way his body moved and his eyes followed his plan to attack, it was easy to read his movements.

He started to get angry and you could see the frustration in his red face.

He was growling between lunging for me and swinging fists, but the outcome was the same. People started to talk amongst themselves.

"Bitch! Stop running!"

"Okay then."

He lunged for me and I stopped him with an uppercut to the jaw. Simple, but effective as he stumbled back. A couple more minutes passed and I managed to get a kick to the stomach and send him flying. He was seething, his entire body shaking.

"Stop toying with him." Nate said, dead voice.

"I can do that." I said and went on the offensive. It had caught him off guard because his eyes widened and he just covered his face to protect himself.

It didn't take long for him to be on the floor, struggling to get to his feet. Every time I sent him down he got up slower and slower. He was resilient, id give him that.

That was the last one. He was swaying on his feet, hands up like a boxer. As soon as he was within hitting range I dodged his swing and got beside him, putting my arm across his midsection, grabbing and pulling up.

His scream wasn't loud enough to cover the sound of the crack of his spine. I let him drop to a heap on the floor.

"Now..." I said softly, crouching down beside him. "Your Alpha has earned your loyalty and respect and you cant be treating him the way you did. As for me, you've got your punishment in the agony you feel now. I won't ever warn you again... I'm not all heartless, I'm going to give you the option to live or die. You can get treatment, heal and serve your Alpha right or I'll snap your neck now. It's your choice."

His breathing was laboured as he tried to ignore the pain. He could barely move his neck but his eyes looked to me.

"Live." He whispered.

Looking up to Nate, he nodded hesitantly.

"Okay. Then turn. Your back will hurt for a few weeks but it'll heal most of your injury." I said and stood looking at the closest warriors. "Take him out, give him some privacy." Nodding, they complied.

"You didn't have to show him mercy." Nate stated stepping forward, in front of me.

"No. But we're allies at war. We need as many wolves as we can. We can't be picking each other off like the mutts."

He nodded. "Very true." He said and placed a hand on my shoulder. It was something I had seen him do with Evan. Not knowing what to do, I copied and nodded my head.