"Now, students, we have a new pupil in our class, as many of you already know - thank you Harley!" he added, looking at Harley, who was sat next to Cece, opposite me and Alex.

"Melody was discovered for her singing, so Melody, would you mind singing for us now?"

My eyes widened, oh dear! I may have been discovered for singing, but not in front of my future music class, full of very talented American students whom I don't know and are probably way better than me! That's a lot to worry about!

"Ummmm..." I mumbled, then looked at Alex, scared.

"How about next period, after recess?" suggested Alex, as we were in a double lesson for this.

"Well I think she should sing it now!" said Lyra, her eyes sparkling with black humour. "A professional musician should be ready to perform at any time, right Anthony?"

Before Anthony had a chance to speak, Alex quickly cut in.

"Well professional musicians always have some songs they have already performed that they can play, wheras Melody has nothing." Alex argued, saving my skin once again. Anthony conceeded, and we continued with the class, which turned out to be pretty fun! I found out that Alex was an absolute whiz at anything particularly musically related, which pretty much proved my point about all the American's being better than me. I was terrified all the way through class, I couldn't think of what to sing at all!

The bell rang, signalling break - no, here it was recess! - and me and Alex ran outside, me panicking.

"I don't know what to sing! There's nothing I can sing whatsoever, I know nothing, and I'm a terrible singer anyway, and I shouldn't be here and I don't want to be here and everyone hates me and-"

"Melody, calm down, it's going to be fine!" he soothed, patting me on the shoulder. We sat on some steps near the classroom and tried to think of something. We eventually came up with a chrismas song that I liked, but for the last five minutes of break I was still panicking.

"What if Lyra tries and ruins it!" I wailed, burying my face in my hands. Alex patted me on the shoulder again, and then we walked into class.

Anthony said I had to perform, but I was still so nervous I barely realised what he was saying.

Alex patted me once more on the shoulder, and then I was up and had to perform.

I squeezed my eyes shut, and let the music carry me away. The first few bars sounded a bit croaky and off key, and I heard Lyra laughing, but I just tuned her out and got on with it.

I opened my eyes and everyone was applauding. I blushed and went to sit down in my seat. I was glowing with elation on the inside though, and as soon as I sat down next to Alex I let it out slightly.

"Eeeeeeek!" I squealed, grinning at him.

"I told you it'd be fine!" he laughed, putting his arm around me once more. On impulse and my absolute happy high, I wrapped my arms around his torso and hugged him tightly. He laughed and hugged me back.

"Thankyouthankyouthankyou!" I squealed, letting him go, and suddenly remembering we were in music class. Thankfully Anthony was talking again and Lyra was the only one to notice, but at that moment, I really didn't care about her.

"Yaaaay!" cried Cece in her lovable airy voice across the table, and she grabbed my hand, squeezing it tightly.

Class ended and we got up. I left the room and went to my locker, thinking about what happened today. I met Alex, and I guess we were friends now, Cece was fast becoming a good friend, as was James. Harley I wasn't sure about, she seemed to keep to herself a lot, but as far as I could tell she didn't hate me at least.