I Was Alone, But Then You Happened

~Mitch's P.O.V~

I sit on my couch with Scott and Kevin at my side. Right now, they were my best motivators.

Tears stream down my face and fall onto my lap. I feel like a horrible father. I don't know if I could take care of my daughter alone anymore.

My girlfriend and I had an unplanned pregnancy when my career had started. I was nineteen and she was eighteen. It was the most scariest thing that I've ever been through.

Being me, I stayed with her. She died while giving birth, and my daughter almost didn't make it.

I vowed to take care of our daughter to my girlfriend.

He name was Anna, and she didn't get a chance to name our baby. The doctors were trying to save her, but there was nothing they could do.

I held my baby in my arms while crying tears of happiness and sadness when the doctor handed me the birth certificate. I named her Anna in honor of her mother. It was a thing she had in her family.

It's been four years now and I can't help but cry. I cry on Kevin's shoulder while Scott holds my hand.

"It's going to be okay," Kevin says.
"No it won't. All of the people I've met don't want to be a stepmom or hate Anna. I can't do this."

Scott places his hand on my shoulder and I look up at him.

"Anna is your daughter and you promised to take care of her. There's no going back. A real father wouldn't leave their child behind. You have to be there for her, Mitch. Even if it does stress you out."

Scott was right. I needed to grow up. I'm not her babysitter. I'm her dad. This child is my lifechanger and I needed to accept that.

Kirstie walks inside without any warning so Kevin screams when she walks in, but it made me feel better. 

"Hey. Anna and Jeremy are out getting some ice cream together but I really need to talk to you." She pointed at me. Kirstie and Jeremy really love Anna, so they offered to take her every other weekend.

"What now?" I asked.
"Well, I found a girl who's actually interested in meeting Anna. Her name is (Y/n) and she thinks you're very cute."
"You say that about all the girls you introduce me to." I say. I wipe my cheek from extra tears still trickling down.

"But this girl is different. She's been a stepmom before but it didn't work out between her and the guy she was seeing. She loved the kid though."
"But what if she doesn't love Anna? That's the thing I'm worried about. I need someone to love me and my kid."
"She's met Anna already."
"What??" I felt shocked.
"Yeah. I bumped into her a few weeks ago while me and Anna were getting some stuff from the store."

I felt like I had a chance. Kirstie continued telling me about (Y/n), and she showed me a picture. She was beautiful. I needed to meet her.

~~~

It had been a week and Kirstie is having (Y/n) come over today. Scott was going to stay upstairs to keep Anna distracted.

I made sure that everything was in place. I really wanted to impress this girl.

A knock came from the door and I quickly covered myself in a little cologne and ran downstairs.

(Y/n) was standing there and Kirstie's car was driving away.

"Hey!" I smiled. She said hi back and I let her inside.

"Is there anything you want? Drink? Snack?" I asked.
"Oh, no thank you. I'm good," she smiled. Her smile made my knees weak.

"So, let's talk and get to know each other." I clapped my hands together once as she sat down on the couch and sighed while talking and had a smile on my face.
"Ask away." She still had her smile on her face.

I thought about a few questions. The normal questions and a little bit of unusual questions. I stuck with the normal ones.

"What do you do for a living?"
"I'm a (dream job)."
"Oh wow. That sounds cool," I said.

"Yeah, it's pretty fun. I heard some of your music and I thought it was pretty good. Your (favorite song) song is my personal favorite." She said.

I blushed and chuckled. "Thanks. That means a lot." I smirked. We stared at each other for a minute and we soon started leaning in. This was the best moment that's happened in a long time.

"Daddy, daddy, daddy!!!" Anna's voice was coming closer and closer. (Y/n) and I stopped, opened our eyes, and chuckled at how close we were and how awkward it kind of was.

"What sweetie?" I asked Anna after she kept repeating my name.
"I'm hungry and uncle Scotty won't come downstairs with me and make me food." She whined.
"I can make you some Mac and Cheese." (Y/n) offered.
"Really??" Anna asked happily. I tried to tell her no, but (Y/n) insisted.

~~~

After Anna ate, she went back upstairs to play and (Y/n) sat back down on the couch.

"I'm sorry yo-"
"Mitch, calm down. I've been a stepmom before, I don't mind." She smiled. I still felt bad.

We talked some more and started laughing at each other's jokes and just having fun.

There was honking outside and (Y/n) told me it was her ride.

"I'll walk you out."
"Thank you."

We walked outside and I saw Kirstie waiting there on her phone.

"I forgot something."
"Oh, I can go ge-" she cut me off by kissing me passionately. I started kissing back without thinking.

We pulled away and smiled at each other.

"I'll see you next weekend? Maybe without Anna?" She winked and started walking away and got in the car.

I saw Kirstie wiggling her eyebrows at me with a wide smile, making me laugh a little awkwardly.

Maybe without Anna? was not going to leave my head.