Little Bird

•Based off of the song Little Bird by Ed Sheeran•

>Mitch's P.O.V<

I woke up in the cabin that my family owned. It was in the middle of the forest that was full of birds and just tree animals. There weren't any dangerous animals, but the ones that were there were taken to a different forest.

One of my best friends/huge crush, (Y/n), was staying with me for the summer in the cabin. It was a nice big cabin that was pretty fancy and a nice and cozy place to stay in.

She and I act like we're dating, but we really aren't. It's weird, but I guess we're just close like that and I like it that way.

We wanted to walk outside for a little while, enjoying the scent from last night's rain.

We were holding each other's hand and looking around our surroundings, when suddenly I heard a gasp come from (Y/n).

I snapped my head over to see what's wrong as she let my hand go.

She kneeled down to see a small little bird with it's poor little leg bent in a way it shouldn't.

"Are there any rubber gloves back at the cabin?" She asked.
"There should be some blue ones under the sink." I said.
She looked up at me with hopeful eyes. "Can we nurse it back to health please?" She begged.

I didn't hesitate to say yes, and she ran off back to the cabin to get the gloves and made me wait with the baby bird.

She came back with a box and had gloves on her hands and a smile on her face.

"Come here little buddy.." She said quietly to the bird as she picked it up and gently as possible.

"Can you put some stuff in there so it's more comfy?" She asked kindly.

I nodded and started putting some grass, sticks, dirt and leaves in the small box and made a little bed for the bird.

We walked back to the cabin and she was absolutely adoring the little bird in the box she held.

By the time we got back the bird was asleep and (Y/n) and I were pretty tired due to not getting much sleep last night thanks to the Wii.

"Wanna take a nap?" I asked and pointed to the comfortable couch that sat in the living room.

"Carry me?" She asked.

I smiled and picked her up bridal style and carried her to the couch and she quickly fell asleep.

She and I ended up cuddling on the couch until the late evening, and I woke up by the bird chirping, remembering that we forgot to wrap his leg up for it to heal.

I looked at my shirt and saw some of her makeup on my shoulder.

She was still sleeping peacefully. I looked at her lips, wanting to kiss them badly, wondering what they taste like.

Would she tell that I love her after all these years?

I walked towards the counter wear the bird still sat.

I looked at it with my head tilted.

Would our love be sealed by this silly little bird?

I got the emergency pack out from the closet and took some gauze out to wrap his leg around for now and figured we could take the bird to the vet later.

"Sorry little guy..." I mumbled as I fixed his leg, the pain being obvious because of its loud squawking.

"Come back Mitchy.." I heard (Y/n) groan. I smiled and turned around, the moon lighting up the night perfectly and walked back to the couch.

We both woke up the next morning at the same time, hearing shuffling from the box and no squeaking at all.

(Y/n) got up to check if the bird was breathing. She placed her finger on it gently and looked at me.

"He's alive."
"How do you know it's a boy?"
"It's easy,"

She was an expert when it came to animals, and she already knew I didn't want another lecture on them unless it was about cats.

"Wanna take him on a walk?" I asked.

She smiled.

"Sure."

I grabbed the box and walked outside with (Y/n), the ground moist and soft with the sun hidden by the large trees.

After walking for a little bit, she got tired and rested her back on a giant oak tree.

I sat down next to her, putting the box next to me.

She rested her head on my shoulder and I rested my head on hers, our hands holding on to each other.

I soon heard soft snores coming from her. I smiled and closed my eyes, not realizing that I would fall asleep.

When I woke up, the sun was setting and (Y/n) was caring for the baby bird.

She smiled at me and helped me get up, and we started walking back with the box in her hands.

Later that night, we got into a fight. I admit, it was my fault, but I got pretty jealous when I saw her texting flirtatiously with Avi.

"I thought you loved me!" I yelled.
"We aren't even together, Mitch!"
"You and I are closer than ever! I LOVE YOU!" I screamed.

Her body loosened and she stayed quiet.

I realized what I said and tried to say something.

"I.. I think I need some time to think to myself, Mitch.." She said. She walked upstairs and quietly closed the door behind her.

When she didn't tell me she loved me back, rage rushed through me and anger took over my body.

I looked at the box, took the little bird out and ran outside, the door slamming behind me.

In the cabin, I could hear her calling my name.

She screamed it at last and I didn't answer her. I continued running.

My name being called by her came closer and closer, and the closer it came the faster I ran.

I dropped the bird in the middle of the random area I don't remember and started running back to the cabin.

"Where's the bird?" She stopped me.

"Left for dead."

She looked at me angrily and ran away. I watched her run and realized what I had said and done.

I heard her sobbing as she ran away.

I ran back to where I put the bird, picked it up and ran back to the cabin, (Y/n) not being back yet.

"I'm sorry.." I mumbled to myself over and over again.

I knew (Y/n) would have to come back sooner or later, so I waited patiently while feeding the bird.

The front door slammed shut and I saw (Y/n) come in with a more upset look.

"You- you brought him back?" She asked once she realized what I was doing.

I smiled slightly and nodded.

She walked up to me and kissed me, I didn't hesitate to kiss back.

While kissing her, I looked at the little bird and smiled and continued to kiss (Y/n).