Far From Home

"Hi mommy!" Your daughter called out to you after getting off the bus.

You waited at her bus stop to pick her up and walk her home.

The walk wasn't far away, just five minutes.

You're a twenty one year old mother to a five year old sighted who you loved dearly.

Your daughter, Valentina, was your whole world. You loved her to death and would do anything for her. You weren't ashamed or embarrassed to say you gave birth to her at the age of sixteen.

Your boyfriend, Mitch, was there to support you. Although he wasn't Valentina's father, he almost could pull it off.

Mitch came around at an early age for Valentina, not judging you about being a teen mom.

When Valentina was a baby, Mitch had became obsessed with her, and started calling her "his baby" once you two were actually together.

Valentina had taught herself that Mitch was her father, and started calling him daddy.

Your parents wanted you to find Valentina's real father and to be with him, but once they saw how Mitch acted around their granddaughter, they gave up with the arguments with you and let you be happy with Mitch.

Once you and your daughter got home, you started helping her with her addition and subtraction while cooking dinner.

"Mommy?" She asked.

"Yes sweetheart?"

"Where's daddy?"

You sighed quietly and looked down at the food that was almost cooked.

"He's at work sweetie, with uncle Scotty and uncle Avi and uncle Kevin and auntie Kirstie." You smiled kindly at her.

"When's he coming home?" She moved her hair out of her face and drank the juice that you had given to her earlier.

"He won't be home until next month, baby." You frowned. She looked at you sadly and continued working on her homework that you helped her on.

You continued making dinner and once it was done, Valentina was done with her homework and happily ate her food while Elmo played on the television in the living room.

You were texting Mitch about what to do about Valentina.

You: Val misses you so much. Think you can Skype her tonight?
Mitch: Yeah. Thank god I don't have a show tonight. I need to talk to her and you
You: good. What time do you think you can?
Mitch: we aren't doing anything. What's she doing right now? I have a plan
You: she's eating dinner and watching Elmo
Mitch: okay. Her favorite song is which one again?
You: she has a few. One is Light in the Hallway, another one is Love Again, and the last one is Cheerleader. Why?
Mitch: you'll see. Skype me in 30. Love you babe
You: okay. Love you too

You put your phone away and start cleaning up the living room while Valentina climbed on the couch after you took her empty plate and kept focusing on Elmo.

Thirty minutes had passed and you had called Mitch on Skype with Valentina in your lap while her eyes were closed.

When he answered, he and the rest of Pentatonix sat there with smiles on their faces looking at the camera.

"Okay, open them!" You said happily.

She opened her eyes and gasped. "Daddy! Uncles and auntie!" She giggled and smiled brightly.

"Hi baby!" Mitch said.

"Valy, guess what!" Scott said. Valentina listened and waited for Scott to tell her what was going on.

"We're gonna sing you your favorite songs!" He cheered. Valentina smiled and waited for them to start.

~~~

Once they were finished singing, they started talking with you and Valentina.

"Hey daddy?" Valentina asked.

"Yes Val?"

"When are you coming home?" She asked, her voice sounding really sad.

Mitch started tearing up and looked down.

"I won't be home until next month, baby. But don't worry. I'll be home before you know it!" He smiled, but his facial expression still showed sadness.

"Yay! Okay daddy." She smiled again.

Kirstie started talking to Valentina about school, and once that conversation ended, Scott took over talking to her.

"I can't wait to see you, Valy!" He smiled.

"I can't wait to see you uncle Scotty!" She giggled, making him smile brightly.

After hours had passed of Avi and Kevin making her laugh, it was time for her to go to bed.

"It's time for bed sweetheart. Why don't you say goodnight and head off to bed?" You told her.

She frowned but obeyed.

"Goodnight everyone." She said.

"Goodnight pumpkin." Everyone said in sync.

She ran off to the bathroom and you had started talking with them.

"What time is it for you guys?" You asked.

"We're in the same timezone, actually." Kevin said.

You sighed. "I should go. I promised to read her a story tonight before bed."

"Okay. We'll see you next month. We all love you!" Scott smiled.

You smiled back and ended the call, slowly got out of bed, and walked to your daughter's room, storybook in hand.

"Who's ready for a story?" You smiled.

"I am!" Valentina cheered. You sat on the side of her bed and started reading her favorite story before she fell asleep.