Running Away

You were sitting in your room late at night, waiting for that message. The message that would change your life with your family.

Ding.

Your phone vibrated and echoed a little. You quickly checked it to see who it was.

Mitchy: I'm in the backyard. You ready?

You smiled and grabbed your packed backpack. Inside of it was some of your parents money ($500), clothes, and everything you needed.

You were running away from your family. Your parents hated the fact about Mitch even existing and that you were dating him. They never liked him to begin with, so hearing that you two were dating broke their hearts.

He was the bad boy at school. Not to the girls he dated, but he always just broke the rules.

He was caught smoking at school and got suspended for a few weeks. One time for an End-Of-The-Semester-Prank, he came to school shirtless, revealing the tattoos he had gotten without his parents permission.

But Mitch was a sweet person. He isn't mean, he's just always getting into trouble.

He was popular in school, too. Everyone liked him because he never said anything bad about them.

Tonight was the night that you and Mitch ran away.

Your house was a one-story house, so it was easy to climb out of the window.

You pulled him in for a hug and he smiled and held you back.

When you let go of each other, he fixed his long hair and moved it away from his eye so he could see you better.

The car's running. Don't close your door until we're out of the neighborhood, okay?" He said. You nodded and followed him out to the front.

You left your door cracked open and closed it completely once you exited the neighborhood and entered town.

Mitch stopped at a Taco Bell and you guys bought some food for the way out.

But before you guys officially left, you stocked up on Rockstars, water bottles, Hot Cheetos, gum, soda, and candy at a gas station that was nearby.

Mitch tried handing you condoms as a joke and you slapped them out of his hands while he laughed.

"Road trip?" The cash register guy asked.

"You could say that." Mitch answered.

"Where to?"
"California."
"That's a long ways away."
"Doesn't matter to us."

You grabbed your things and said goodbye to the cash register guy. You filled the car up with gas and you guys started making your way out, Mitch instantly cracking open a Whipped Strawberry Rockstar.

He turned the radio up and hummed along to the songs he knew.

As he drove, you looked out your window to see the land that lay ahead. Everything was dead and there were few factories polluting the air.

You rolled your window down and enjoyed the breeze while the wind flicked your hair back.

You rolled your window back up after about an hour of driving and slowly fell asleep. Music played quietly from the speakers and the patter of Mitch's thumbs tapping the steering wheel along with the beat filled your ears while your eyes fluttered closed.

When you woke up, the sun was still rising and you were about to enter a town.

"Good morning." Mitch said as he looked at you and looked back at the road.

"Hey.." You said. Your voice was groggy and your eyes were heavy.

"We're gonna stop and get gas and have a bathroom break." He informed you. The radio was still playing softly.

"Okay. I'll wake myself up more and drive."
"No, it's okay. I've drank about four Rockstars. I just really have to pee." He said. He bounced a little bit and continued looking at the road.

You smiled a little and rolled your eyes.

"So I'm guessing we need to buy more Rockstars?"
"Yup."

He stopped the car and you got out to fill the car with gas. Mitch walked inside to use the restroom and buy more drinks.

While filling up the car with gas, a little girl was wandering around all alone. She looked scared and was looking around her surroundings, repeating, "Mommy? Where are you?"

You finished the task and walked over to her.

"Are you lost?" You asked. She stepped back a little.

"Mommy says I'm not supposed to talk to people I don't know."
"That's good. But I saw a woman that looked a lot like you walk inside. I think I know where she is."

She looked around and hesitated. She looked behind you and looked more frightened.

"Babe? Who's this? We aren't adopting her, are we?" Mitch asked from behind you. You instantly knew that the little girl was intimidated by Mitch's looks. He was wearing black eyeshadow as a joke but it wouldn't come off. He pulled it off pretty well and you really liked it on him.

You turned around and he was walking back to the car to put the drinks inside and walked back to you.

"She's lost." You tell him.
"I think I saw your mom inside. She looked a lot li-"
"ELIZABETH!" A voice boomed behind you.

The girl jumped a little and looked at where the voice came from. Her eyes lit up and ran to the woman.

"How many times have I told you not to talk to strangers!?" She yelled.
"We were actually trying to help her, ma'am. I saw you in the gas station a few minutes ago." Mitch explained.

"Yeah, I know. You're lucky I heard you." The mother stormed off with her daughter and slammed the car doors shut and drove away.

"What was the little girl doing out of the car anyways?" You asked Mitch while getting back inside the car.

~~~

Night came again but you were wide awake. You were ignoring your phone because you knew it was family and friends asking where you are.

You ate hot Cheetos while watching some videos on Mitch's phone because he had better data than you.

Mitch parked the car on the side of he road and he got out and opened the trunk. You were confused but you continued to eat and watch a video.

"(Y/n), come out here." He called from outside after a few minutes had passed. You grabbed his phone and your Cheetos and walked outside.

He set up an air mattress that looked very comfortable and had blankets and pillows all over the place. You wondered how he did it all in twenty minutes.

"Mitch? What're we doing?" You asked.

Mitch chuckled. "Nothing you're thinking of. Just lay down and fall asleep out here with me."

You climbed on the air mattress and you sunk down in it, making it feel like you were floating in midair. Mitch climbed next to you and covered you both in blankets. He held the phone up and watched the video with you. You snuggled next to him and held his torso.

"Running away with you was the best idea I've ever had."